Westfield Insurance Hike

JamieRedtop

Apparently I was the second complainee to call Footman James this morning following an 80% increase in my Westfield insurance premium (despite no claims, changes to details etc).

They say they now only run a single kit car policy and that's as good as it gets :(

Anyone seeing similar increases from other insurers? And who do I try next? Flux, A-Plan?

Had 10 good years with FJ - so much for loyalty....

Standard insurance company I think - send you a high renewal in the hope you'll just go for it...

Couldn't find anyone cheaper than A-Plan personally, and the service was top notch too :t-up:

If you do a search you'll find that A-Plan are by far the most popular at the moment.

Oh, you don't need to do a search now, do you)

We had a similar thread on here recently, including a clarification Mark got from FJ.

Indeed Dave, FJ will only renew existing policies or quote for new policies if the car was factory built, which is not FJ's decision but that of their underwriters.  There are number of insurers for kit cars and you are, as always, encouraged to contact them all to get the best policy and deal for your own requirements.

Sounds like the underwriter has had a bad experience with home built cars. However there shouldn't be any difference with current home built cars as they all have to go through the IVA. It may have been older cars but he doesn't realise this.

Frank Pickles for me also, very easy to deal with.

Thanks guys. 

Called A-Plan and they can do it for £109 which is cheaper than last year's FJ quote :d

A Plan are really good, I'm with them at the moment as well.

The only point I would make, and it's not a criticism, in fact it's one of the things I like most about them - but it can make price comparisons harder. Is that they do seem to have a very modular approach to building an insurance package, when it comes down to actual cover, you then find yourself paying extra for some of the things that were part of the dearer quote by default.

I half got caught by this, this year. I changed to A Plan who were much cheaper than the previous company. Then several weeks in, (as a result of a thread on here actually) realised I was no longer covered to travel to work in the Westfield. (Which for me, involved driving to a clients premises, from where I would then work, not driving to one fixed office etc) This was absolutely no problem to have added on when I rang A Plan. IIRC it was an extra £15 or £20 PA, still a bit less than the previous companies quote, just not as significantly so as it had seemed. (The previous company had included that cover by default).

That said, the people - both Claire and some of her colleagues, that I've dealt with at A Plan, would encourage me to return, even if there was no price advantage.

(Should add, for fairness, I've also over the years had excellent service from Frank Pickles and Footman James - however as a home built car, FJ would no longer cover me)

Frank Pickles cheaper than FJ were before their price-hike.  I heard they were taken over by Aviva who have little interest in kit cars so hence the increase.

Having said that, Aviva give me a fabulous price on our tin-tops - saving of around £260.