Snetterton 300 20th September 2017 - Javelin Trackdays

Kevin (Mr T)

Do you have an external oil cooler? That made a big difference for mine with the Polo rad. Hopefully you're not running the sandwich plate oil/water heat exchanger

1 hour ago, darve said:

Was new when I built the car so hope it's OK

Dom / Gary / etc were getting hot with the standard polo as well I think 

@Dommo @Gary (KugaWestie) - North Oxfordshire AO @bunje @lewis ?

Not guilty your honour! The standard polo rad was always fine for me whilst it was fitted. Never ran with a grill though so that manage helped.

me neither mine was alaways rock solid with the polo rad befroe the turbo. used to get warm when in traffic as normal but apart from that it was fine. oh those were the days eh lol

In a moment of madness (aka drunken stupor) I've offered to share my car with Ed (you're going to like this lad!), who's currently restoring a 1972 Beetle.

He's never been on a track day, so it should be interesting.

Point of the post is, does anyone have a spare LARGE full face helmet they could bring on the day for him to use?

On 04/09/2017 at 22:54, Kit Car Electronics said:

Do you have an external oil cooler? That made a big difference for mine with the Polo rad. Hopefully you're not running the sandwich plate oil/water heat exchanger

Like this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mk1+mx5+oil+cooler&safe=off&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiD0IjSvpHWAhWsB8AKHXp4CKsQ_AUIEigC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=McJM_EpTncyroM:

7 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Come on @darve, you can do it!

It's Matt Lewis Racing who are always competitive- looks good to me. Pick the black hoses, thermostat and 16 row- mount it below the rad off the front chassis rails. Join the water hoses together and ditch the heat exchanger- job done hopefully...

Any pics of how you mounted it Mike?

If mounted how you suggest, will my ducting (plywood....) impede how effective the oil cooler would be? I.e. should I take off the ducting?

Thinking ahead to winter, when I mount my other oil cooler for the you know what, should I just "stack" the coolers in front of each other?

Should probably move the oil temp sender at the same time. I think the current location (at the edge of a wing) is a bit naff and it's cooler over there. Any ideas? "Y" piece with the oil pressure sender (enough flow)?

@darve i run that exact cooler but not that kit brought from matt lewis racing but i needed more pipe and a thermostatic valve. in my opinion its too much i cant get my oil warm even with the turbo. i had mine infront of my intercooler im going to do the same with my radtec but im going to blank half the cooler off and see what happens.

i wasnt running the cooler before turbo though and bear in mind i have a 1.6 which doesnt have thwe sandwich plate like the 1.8 has

@bunje

Couldn't get the old warm even with a thermostat? Surely if the stat is close no oil can get to the cooler (or just a small amount)

where are you taking the temp reading from? I have mine in the sump which acts as a big heat sink so suspect the temp reading is way low.