Handbrake light coming on .

Weekend Warrior

Squeal is probably due to some uprated pads,but as above Deffo worth checking how much meat is left on the pads :)

@CosKevis spot-on. The main area of leaks tend to be at the joints, unless you're very unlucky to have suffered physical damage to the lines.

it's very easy to top up the reservoir, even easier with a small funnel or the wife's turkey baster.

it's also very easy to check your disk thicknesses once a wheel is off.

if in doubt, post a picture of your disks edges, as viewed through the caliper.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the advice. I will whip the wheels of tomorrow and have a look, then work my way from the front disc back to the resivoir checking all the hose and pipes. If all is good I will top it up. 

The cap may be quite tight, especially if it hasn't been off for a while. also have a decent clean rag ready as the cap extends down into the fluid so spillage is likely when you lift it off.

just wrap the rag around it and move to the side taking care not to stress the attached wires.

3 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

The cap may be quite tight, especially if it hasn't been off for a while. also have a decent clean rag ready as the cap extends down into the fluid so spillage is likely when you lift it off.

just wrap the rag around it and move to the side taking care not to stress the attached wires.

Ok will do thanks for the top tips 

1 hour ago, CraigHew said:

...even easier with a small funnel or the wife's turkey baster.

Absolute classic! :d

I have checked the brake resivoir and it's full and have no leaks as far as I can tell and still have at least 8mm left on the pads 

Faulty level sensor, loose wire somewhere, behind dash or on handbrake?

Shame you're not closer, I love looking at problems like this lol!

6 minutes ago, Ianboom said:

Faulty level sensor, loose wire somewhere, behind dash or on handbrake?

Shame you're not closer, I love looking at problems like this lol!

Would that explain why it only happens going down hills 

I spoke to the owner and said it is a faulty handbrake switch now how do I get to that 

Edited by Chris cooper

Either from underneath the car, which is awkward, or by removing the carpet and aluminium transmission cover that goes around he hand brake.

5 minutes ago, Ianboom said:

Either from underneath the car, which is awkward, or by removing the carpet and aluminium transmission cover that goes around he hand brake.

Ok thanks will have a look 

I would still say it's fluid level as mine does exactly the same thing if it's not filled enough. If it was a loose connection or faulty switch I would think it would do it all the time, not just down hills.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sycho said:

I would still say it's fluid level as mine does exactly the same thing if it's not filled enough. If it was a loose connection or faulty switch I would think it would do it all the time, not just down hills.

I will top it up it is filled just below the neck of the resivoir 

As Andy ( @Sycho) said, mine did that too when I shaved a couple of mm off each pad. I only managed to get about 3 teaspoons in till it was full but that did the trick.

If it is the switch then that should be an easy fix once you gain access.