S2000 Catch can with filter

Scotty72

26 minutes ago, bunje said:

yeh thats the same as mine

also regarding your water temp try taking the sender out and cleaning the boss that it fits into as it looks corroded if its not grounding out the sender then you wont get the temprature reading

Water temp is working fine and fan kicks in at 98c. It's just oil pressure that I'm having trouble with

Scott

28 minutes ago, bunje said:

also regarding your water temp try taking the sender out and cleaning the boss that it fits into as it looks corroded if its not grounding out the sender then you wont get the temprature reading

Worse, if there's too much resistance in the ground connection you could get a false temp reading.

53 minutes ago, bunje said:

Water temp is working fine and fan kicks in at 98c. It's just oil pressure that I'm having trouble with

Scott

Looks a nice car and welcome. One thing I would do, is fit a rubber boot on the alternator cable to prevent shorting anything out when spannering.

4 hours ago, Scotty72 said:

Ian

Pics of temp sender and oil pressure sender

20170705_135940.jpg

You should fit a boot the the positive post on your alternator too.(oops, just seen @Thrustyjust spotted it too).

52 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Worse, if there's too much resistance in the ground connection you could get a false temp reading.

Use an ohms tester on the sensor to block earth and see it changes resistance when starting and running will show a sensor fault or not. The other connection is a closed circuit to open circuit for a light for oil pressure .

Will this not be covered by warranty with Toybox? Did you not notice it before buying? The G terminal should vary in resistance to earth with oil pressure. The Wg terminal will be 0 ohms with no pressure and infinity(lots of ohms) with healthy pressure and can be used for a low oil pressure lamp. 

44 minutes ago, bunje said:

Try moving the oil pressure wire to the other connection on the sensor 

Already tried that and makes no difference. Although the terminal is broken where it joins the body, the cable inside is still attached. I need to get an electrical tester to test the resistance. I'm thinking it may be a duff sender.

My sender is described on the picking list as: "OIL PRESSURE SENDER HONDA 10 BAR 1/8NPTF" There's a small brass adapter (http://www.etbinstruments.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=99_63&product_id=79)  to match the sender thread to the block thread. Take care, I managed to snap the original adapter off in the block :cry: I've used Honda bond to seal both the adapter to the block and also the sender to the adapter. However recently I've discovered a slight leak and both the adapter and sender weren't even finger tight! Only the wire had stopped it winding out of the block. I've now fixed both with high temp oil resistant locatite. In the longer terrm, I plan to do the same as @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary and run a hose from the block to a remote sender to prevent engine vibration damaging the sender. It's quite a lot of mass to hang off a little thread!

There's a useful thread here on threads! : https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/oil-pressure-gauge-question-822249/

Just found a video I recorded to demonstrate a duff original sender supplied as part of my build: 

• Like 1

Easy way to test the gauge, is to earth the wire and see what it reads. If it moves on the dash , then the sender is the probably fault.

Just buy a new sender, they're not that expensive.  Then connect the G terminal (Gauge) , not the WK ( "Warnung Kontakt" (warning contact lamp)) as stated.

• Like 1

I've just checked mine and it's definitely wired to the G terminal and not the WK terminal.The body is also stamped 'made in Hungary'. 

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.