Messaging whilst driving, it has to be stopped...

John K

Glad some one picked up on it s2rrr

Could dash cams be an invasion of privacy? I don't want to be filmed by someone without my permission

It is a grey area to be honest. On our works vans we had some wrapped that said smile you are on a yadda reversing camera. This was just advertising, but we had a guy write demanding under the Data Protection act that we hand over the footage we had. 

The Data Commissoner who we contacted was very vague and said it all depended on why we had recorded anything. In evidence of an accident would probably be fine, but anything else could be seen as a problem.

I'd be interested to see how it would stand when challenged. I don't like the thought your van is recording me scratching my balls as you drive past... Or picking my nose in a traffic jam :)

I guess it's the same as CCTV on your house. So long as your open about it somewhere its ok...

^^ Very few people understand the law regarding photography in public places, even the Police get it wrong.

Who remembers this?

My point exactly.

We all like to watch a good clip of some muppet but where should it stop?

Anyhoo ... Did you see the one if the complete plonked on the m6 with the caravan?

My point exactly.

We all like to watch a good clip of some muppet but where should it stop?

Anyhoo ... Did you see the one if the complete plonked on the m6 with the caravan?

What happens when two idiots meet...... One old man who thinks he can do what he likes, one truck driver who wrongly thinks he's doing everyone a favour.

I mean seriously, trying to force a caravan to stop and wait in lane 1 on an otherwise fast flowing 70mph road?

We banned mobile usage of any kind whilst driving at the start of this year. I know, it's difficult to achieve and I have had to rechip myself to achieve it but even hands free is a distraction. I've modified my driving pattern. As a result of living in Devon but covering the UK with my work my journeys are long, mostly in the 3-5 hour range, I used to spend hours driving non-stop - emergency breaks only! I now find myself leaving more time for journeys and stopping more often to catch up on calls, email, etc. When my phone connects to the car bluetooth, it silences all alerts - text and calls receive a polite text message informing people that I may be driving and if they leave a message I'll get back to them. The max they'll have to wait is circa 2 hours - we've all had meetings that take longer than that!

I like that.

Don't know your line of work, but as a design engineer for a major company, I spend a fair amount of time speaking with suppliers, and a staggering amount of the times end up having whole detailed conversations with account reps about technical matters, while they are hands free on and on the road.

No good in my mind, and I don't like it, but on the flip side I am pushed to get thing done to a deadline (obviously), and I know that if I ask them to ring me back there is a really high chance that they wont, because they haven't left the time to do it before their next call, or often after it, and then there are running later, going to be late home, bust day the next day, etc...

Daniel

In the eighties I travelled some 50,000 miles per annum, and before the modern traffic warning devices a CB radio was a huge help. On my workaday journey into London along M40/A40 I would often chat with four or five other regular commuters because the traffic on the A40 was usually very slow from Denham to Perivale before which most had already peeled off. On more than one occasion I found myself at a point in the routine journey where I had no idea of what had taken place for some fifteen to twenty minutes. Almost like auto-pilot. This experience combined with a few in-car phone calls I had from 1986 onwards when I had a fitted car phone, made it obvious that it was not the act of holding the handset or microphone that distracted the driver, but the very act of having a conversation with someone remote from the immediate location. Even passengers are a distraction if they insist on chatting, but at least they can see when and why you've suddenly become silent when the traffic situation has demanded more attention than hitherto. Messaging or any other activity that demands not only similar levels of thought to speaking on the phone but with the added factor of having to look away from the road, is clearly potentially lethal. The only deterrent has to be a massive fine and conviction for at the very least driving without due care, but better would be a new offence closer to dangerous driving. A ban of a year should accompany the big fine.

would agree with that motco got a phone call last night on the way home. integrated blue tooth so totally handsfree. phone was in the boot. 3 sets of lights and i dont remember a thing about any of them. i recall checking that the last one was green and maybe slowing for one of the others but still.... was a bit angry at myself tbh.