Mitsubishi outlander - hybrid - 140mpg

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Lexus IS300h Clark  :d

2.5L petrol engine + electric

50-60mpg

Fully loaded

I have gone for the "Executive" model, comes in at £30k

was looking at those on youtube last night - they look nice :t-up:  if they did an estate version probably would have been a goer - and my nearest dealer is Cambridge :(

We own a 2.2turbo diesel Outlander, 57 plate. Build quality not the best tbh. I have replaced some trim plastics as the clip holding them on breaks too easy! Our 5 year old managed to get his foot to it somehow!

Depending how long u intend to keep it, underbody corrosion was mentioned at MOT earlier in year. Little if any under seal applied at manufacture.

Just my experience, things may have improved now

Lucky to see much more than 30mpg, which is mainly town driving by my good lady!

Andy

• Like 1

just been out for a test drive - looks like it would make a good family vehicle though with loads of leg room in the back even with my lanky frame in the front with the seat back

drove reasonably well for a big lump and was quiet enough even when the petrol engine kicks in

the big down side is how low rent it feels and looks - can I get my head around that?

I actually had one of these as a hirecar last week. About 500 miles on the clock in white, automatic. Did a run from Bristol to Cumbria (250 miles) and back again a few days later. The tank was tiny and had to fill up 3 times, the hire car company never charged the batteries (why would they) so was getting top up from regenerative braking but was okay along the M5/M6 in the traffic.

Overall impressed with the car, but not the small fuel tank and therefore shortened range however without the battery juiced up it would be interesting to see the difference.

My dad has had the CT200h and now has the NX200h from Lexus and has enjoyed both very much. The NX200h isn't even much of a price difference. Think he negotiated the same monthly payments as he had on the CT200h.

That's interesting Richard

They lose most of their benefits out of the range of the electric running - for long journeys you would be better of selecting a standard diesel model

80% of my mileage will be on electric mode I reckon

just emailed my accountant for a second opinion on running one - he has already started taking the p*** :laugh: :laugh:

just emailed my accountant for a second opinion on running one - he has already started taking the p*** :laugh: :laugh:

:d  :laugh:

I have a LEAF and have spoke to a quite a few PHEV owners whilst charging and most are very disappointed with the PHEV, as the electric range is no more than 20 miles. There are however large BIK saving (this financial year anyway) but are due to change over the next few years. 

You should try the LEAF, in Tekna spec as they are fully loaded and the refinement/quality is exceptional. 

Range on the car is approx 90 on a full charge, so based on your commute this would not be an issue as you would top it up overnight at home once a week. Oh and they cost 2p per mile to run, low servicing costs etc.

• 1 month later...

well I have given in (literally) and just ordered a PHEV Outlander - 4-5k saving in BIK a year in my back pocket is just too much of a draw and will no doubt help me getting back to a few track days this year :t-up:

• Like 1

Cleggy

Autocar had one on long term test. Check specs carefully if care about electric range.  I think the basic model doesn't have a heat pump

Went for the higher end one :t-up: 

• Like 1

Will be interested to hear how you get on.  The increasing BIK rates are going to kill traditional company cars. I am happy with my leaf for commuting to the office twice a week.  Up to 15,000 electric miles now

The Outlander given that I have three kids offers a great package really (trying to convince myself by watching reviews on YouTube) - must admit I am really gutted to be letting the 530d touring go as it has been such a brilliant all rounder

I will report back on real world mileage but expect my daily commute to be virtually 100% electric - I will have two charging stations (the home unit supplied FOC) and mainly use the one at work for charging during the day  - I should be able to get home/work and back on one charge

Also quite like the fact that I can use the phone app to set when the car charges and also turn on heaters/aircon to heat/cool the car before I venture out the door

From what I have seen you drop down to about 35mpg once the battery drained beyond that (there is a video of someone getting 25mpg when towing a 1500kg caravan once the battery was depleted) - which is still very good for a big motor - people doing an mix of local driving and some longer runs are frequently getting 60ish MPG

Also worth noting that the engine is petrol so cheaper to buy fuel as well

Time will tell but for me what the actual MPG turns out to be - not the be all and end all for me TBH

Should be an interesting experience if nothing else :suspect:

I've got a Renault Zoe and the petrol vs electric argument is completely irrelevant. It's the ability to tell the car when to be warm for that I like most :d

Cleggy use charge master not British gas for the home install and also get an ecotricity card