how to sell a car with great images......

alexander72

:d guest  I built a "bulldog" whilst you were playing "bulldog" makes me laugh, anyway (showing my age). It was registered in 1990 and it got a Q plate, as it was done properly. There were ways to get it "legally" registered as a "convertible whatever" but even back then it was considered dodgy ie you told some porky pies to the dvla, about chassis and parts etc.

I know gadgetman says DVLA are ok for sorting out paperwork, but AFAIK it tends to be you need a load of paperwork showing MOTs etc from the 1990's and proof that its the same car. With it being laid up for 20 years with I assume no paperwork to prove it, I think you may have a hard time proving it is the car that was built in 1990 odd and it being considered a new build.

As I say if it was on a Q and I had the money I would snap this project up.

Im sure it would make a good car with time and money, but given like I did you can buy a runner on a q-plate for £4k its not worth too much... OK i needed new rear dampers, brake calipers and slaves, and it wanted a good tidy up, but still.

Daniel

Kev's got a point!

Meakin's got one too. It dies look in reasonable condition. But it would need a lot of work to get it in the show room. Yes it has a lot of potential. I still think a bit risky. Plus why leave it in a garage for 20 years?

The convertiable cortina bit is interesting, I now see why some adverts have "correctly registared as a..." in them. But I was still playing kiss chase and bull dog in the 90's so not too aware of that. I do know Irish plates were always avoided for similar reasons.

Somebody ask him what the V5 says...

Go on...

I've just asked him what it's registered as.

Reply from the owner regarding my "what does the V5 say" question. He also sent me a copy of the V5 and it is indeed still registered as a Cortina and showing what I assume is the Cortina chassis number. Having seen the current issues that Dommo has had trying to register a "proper" Westfield, I'd imagine it would be pretty time consuming to sort this old one out.

"The car is a Westfield SE chassis number PJ WES 88 416 the V5 document, is as a Ford Cortina Convertible vehicle number JAP 837L the donor vehicle (engine gearbox axle and other parts) this I believe is how it was done with kit cars at the time.

The last test certificate lists the car as a Red Westfield and the last Insurance document was with Norwich Union private car club insurance as a Westfield SE Registration number JAP 837L 1600cc year 1973

The engine is Ford cross flow twin 40 Webber carburetors, gearbox is a 4 speed as of the day engine tune and cylinder capacity are unknown when last driven it was very fast it turns over freely on the starter motor.

As I stated in the advert the car has been in my garage unused for nearly 20 years I hope this answers your questions you would be most welcome to view the vehicle"

I think you would need a lot more paperwork than just chassis number, and MOT and insurance stating it was a Westfield from a cortina convertible from 1973 to get it through the DVLA IMHO.

With the more recent registration even for a Q plate I had to present build diary and stacks of receipts (including the original westfield sale back in 1988) to prove it was genuine.  

The chap is wrong BTW it was considered wrong not to have a Q plate back in 1990 and the re-registration as cortina convertable was very dodgy even back then. There was no check like now, that all the parts came from the same donor and the cortina convertible bit was a loophole for such cars that had body kit changes but not chassis changes (eg the old dune buggys). When I registered mine I went with a donor vehicle V5 to prove parts came from a legit source and it still went through with a special chassis number and Q plate.

I'm sure it could be sorted but it would be a pain to do so.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.