NHS. Why?

Norman Verona

If a soldier obeys orders which breach the Geneva Convention on war he is prosecuted for war crimes.

Read up on the Nuremberg trials.

Nurse and doctor managers have to abide by a code of conduct that's supposed to enforce patient care.  They can otherwise be struck off but it's not law like the Geneva Convention so can it actually be used to prosecute?  The NHS has management tiers that are neither though.

Interesting point actually and maybe you're right, maybe prosecutions are possible under some interpretation of the law.  But if you're going to prosecute managers then I think you have to pursue government and regulators too - If you agree with my earlier comment. 

It's difficult to prosecute someone who sets a budget. As opposed to someone who uses the budget in the wrong way and reduces staffing to dangerous levels.

But, I see your point. That's why I say get rid of all this non-medical management and get doctors to run their departments/wards etc.

So far I haven't seen a valid argument against this, I ran garages. I wasn't an accountant I had an accounts department to do that and pay wages. (I've now built a business without an accounts department) It wouldn't be difficult to create a procurement organization for doctors to draw supplied from. The department wouldn't hold the stock it would just get the best prices and the suppliers would deliver on demand. 

Nothing will happen. It's easier to make a lot of noise and do nothing.

Norman I would not disagree with you that the the French health service is better than our NHS.

However that doesn't necessarily make it more efficient.

It would be interesting to find out what the spend per head in countries with a national free service is.

Secondly, we seem to be obsessed with cost cutting in this country, in my experience when the bean counters start making things more "efficient", the standard of service goes down rapidly. That applies to private institutions as well as public funded projects.

You don't get owt for nowt. never have done never will

Depends how you define "efficient". If you're measuring patient care and success in returning sick people to good health then the French win hands down. 

Whilst both countries have similar populations and spend about the same the French spend far more on front line care. 

As far as cost is concerned the French pay a percentage of their medical care costs. But they don't pay NI or prescription charges. I am prescribed 5 different drugs a day. The cost is about 30€ per month. If I was to pay prescription charges it would be far more.

Most French insure the part they have to pay and the insurance companies are integrated into the system so the card they issue is presented through the same system that the French "Carte Vittale" is read.

Whilst I'd rather we were both healthy, from personal and observation experience, I'd prefer to be ill over here.

Prescription charges, OAP's free

Benefit claiments    Free

In my case also on several prescribed drugs every day NHS pre payment card £29.00 valid for 3 months

I agree with that. They have become a nation of hypochondriacs. However, better than waiting months for an urgent hospital appointment.