1st Westie....in at the deep end!

Jontysafe

did she fall out after you told her the cost  :d  

glad you will be up and about for this years 2 days of sunshine  :yes:

These things certainly don't come cheap! Once run in should be good for every one of those 500bhp+. I wonder if I can do the run in over a week?

I ran mine in by driving from Sheffield to Penzance non stop (apart from fuel). Parked it away for the weekend and then drove back to Hoddesden in Herts for Roger to pull the head down and do the RR setup. Kept the revs down to 4000 all the way.

That's the way to do it Norman! Is it not better for ring bed in to not stay at constant revs though? Also the most important thing for the main and shell bearings is not to "load" the engine, ie when you can change to a lower gear, do so.

Or just do a racers run in and accept a rebuild every 20-30,000 miles?

You're correct, not good at constant revs. I kept gently accelerating and lifting off to vary the revs. Must have driven those behind me mad.

But I'm good at that.  :)

Just spotted this post. Awesome car and what you will learn to appreciate most is what looks like great build quality!  I would echo what others have said BE CAREFUL ! I have a mildly tuned John Eales 4.6 lump in my car and to say it will spin the wheels in ALL gears is not far from the truth! And that's with good tyres.

Interesting observation needed... I went narrower in tyre size from 205s to 195s and improved the grip! I also went from 17" to15" with a higher profile which is much more forgiving on a track.

Hello Nicks,

I know exactly where you are coming from on traction or lack thereof! The little I have driven so far has been at pretty low temps so it`s difficult to tell what it will be like when I can get some decent temp into the tyres. I have A048rs in 205 50 15 front and back and have had wheelspin in 5th. I was looking at going 245 50 15 on the rear, the same spec as Porkie.

What diff do you have in yours? I`m thinking of uprating mine as under acceleration it`s very twitchy. Will probably uprate the VC to 240nm, standard seems to be 50nm. If that doesn`t work then will probably go plated diff.

Having to be a bit circumspect with the upgrade-itis as there`s a big bill looming post re-build and I`m married!

Jonty. lack of gripp will be down tp 450+ BHP and very cold AO48's..... shouldnt be run below 12 degrees or something..... and at O they can crack and stuff....  good luck with it mate....

Hi Jonty

echo the comments above,my car makes similar figures and when it is warm 205/50 work fine on Toyo 888, they will spin when its cold ! you often cannot get soft compounds in wider tyres so it really offsets this as they are usually intended for heavier cars than ours which then generate heat in harder tyres from their weight. Give the 048 a chance when it is warm :-)

Hello carjon, I bet your car sounds AWESOME!! Have you got any video of it? I have a feeling this is going to be a very long wait until i get my car back. at least it`s not Summer, that would have been a major bummer.

What gearbox and diff are you using?

Hi Jonty

Sorry no video it is a TVR AJP V8 with a Borg Warner T5 gearbox and a Sierra diff. It works fine.I waited 2 years for my conversion from a Rover V8 and R380 to the AJP and T5 for various reasons, but it was worth it. If you email me I can send you pictures or check out PPC old issues :-) It is always worth the wait !

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know timescale has been elongated a little as these things have a habit of doing! Basically the headwork is holding us up a bit. Karl at Norris Motorsport is a very busy man with headwork.

Am going to be installing a charge temp probe as well just to keep an eye on those and also a turbo cooler after running in.......again!