Kicking the cat or ballboy

Norman Verona

I've seen the pictures of the Chelsea footballer kicking the ballboy. Maybe that's how he got his name, Hazard.

But does anyone know why the ballboy was lying on the ground on top of the ball?

Wanted a kicking.

Whatever the reason the player should be made an example of and get a harsh punishment

The young lad was trying to waste time, apparently he had tweeted to say that if he got the opportunity to do so and it favoured his team at the time he'd do so. He didn't help himself but I don't excuse the chelsea player for lashing out. No Excuse.

He was a Swansea fan as well as a ball boy.  He thought he would be doing his bit by lying on the ball, thus holding up the game and denying Chelsea the chance to score, in the dying minutes to help his team win.  Apparently he had sent out a message on Twitface earlier declaring himself 'King of the ball boys' and describing his role as ' an opportunity for time wasting'  

In short, he was a thick tw*t who is a shining example of what happens when youngsters look to the current crop of prima donnas as a role model.  Personally, I'd have aimed the boot a bit higher, or fractionally lower.

• Like 1

Now let it be said that football is anathema to me, however...

It was said on 'Today' that it is common practice for the local ancillary ground staff: ball boys, etc., to drag their feet if the ball is required in play by the visiting team, but to move their  :arse: if the home team wants it back in play. The boy in question had 'Tweeted' earlier that time wasting was his mission in this match. After the obviously deadly kick (watch the 'footage' - it was pretty symbolic in its lack of force) the said boy writhes in agony like a continental or South American player when brought down by an opposing player from the winning side. He is clearly looking around for observers as he suffers his theatrical pain. Should have kicked him properly IMHO.  :devil:   :p

• Like 1

Probably shouldn't have done it, but he got the ball every day of the week. Should have aimed for the balls, at least make it more amusing...

Apparently Torres had a kick at him too, but missed ......

• Like 2

Thanks, I hadn't thought it could be that.

Maybe he deserved a quick kick but, of course, Hazard shouldn't have done it. I'm sure the ref would have added the time on.

I hope he'll never be employed as ball boy again.

I have to say I am horrified how many members of our club consider a few seconds wasting of time in a sport justifies a criminal assault. The player just proved how many thugs there are playing football. He should be suspended for a long time, if not banned. Otherwise other footballing thugs will think they can get away with it. The ball boy was a 17 year old boy, the criminal was a professional sportsman (so called) and ought to be setting an example. Sadly, some of the posts here indicate that such criminals are condoned by a significant proportion of society, more is the pity. It make me dispair, as a father and a grandfather where society is headed. :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

• Like 3

Stephen, you are, of course, correct. There is no excuse. I feel the same about where we're headed.

However consider this. If the same had happened outside the pub on a Friday night in front of a police officer what do you think would have happened. My guess is nothing.

Had he kicked the boys head and drawn blood and/or kicked him unconscious he may have been arrested and charged with ABH. He'd have gone to court and got a fine and some community service hours.

I suspect he'll be fined by his club and given a three match ban. That is but a gesture.

I'm sure, under the circumstances the ref would have added the time on. 

It was a heat of the moment action which I would suspect a lot of us in Hazards position would have done the same.

Hazard was trying to get the ball out from under the ballboy who was deliberately being an idiot and holding on to it under his body.  I don't believe he was trying to assault the boy, just desperate to get on with the game which was coming to an end and which his side were losing - look at the footage - there's no malice, just frustration with the little pillock.  

I'm certainly not condoning criminal assault, Stephen but that lad was no paragon of virtue!  Of course I understand what you are saying, but I worry for the way we are headed if ball boys think they have any part to play in the match other than getting the ball back to the players!  

Certainly not defending Hazards actions, but he did not kick the ball-boy who was deliberately lying on the ball to waste time and admitted he would given the opportunity. 

Look closely at the footage and you will see that Hazard actually kicks the football underneath the idiot ball-boy who then rolls over as if he has been shot, to raise his head moments later looking for sympathy.

bl**** unruly kids should be taught manners and sportsmanship (but certainly not by Hazard) :)

There was no direct bodily assault by Hazard he kicked the ball unlike Torres :d