Build yourself a Westfield (another build thread) but with a difference

Mark (smokey mow)

I blame marcusb for providing the inspiration with his lego Westfield build... I confess that when i started this is was intended to simply kill a bit of time over the weekend, but like all things I got slightly carried away :oops:

The Essex members have already had a sneak preview on Facebook last night, but for the rest of you what am I talking about? Well err this :d:laugh::bangshead:

4bb3a0190627fee156ee1787bc78abd2.jpg

So what does it take to design a make a 1:25 scale Westfield from a single sheet of paper? except for a lot of time? And a cold weekend :oops:???:d Read on to find out.........

Nice wheels Mark...TSW Evo ???? and that fantastic angular exhaust,perhaps inspired by Honda Civic.

Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's :laugh: but err the spokes came out a little bit wider :d

Prefer them in BlLACK mate :d  :d  :d  :d  :d
Don't get ahead of yourself just yet ;) other colours can be arranged :oops::cool: keep watching...

very cool. cane we have a yellow one 

Yes :d and they'll be an aeroscreen version too :laugh:

Ok To begin I first needed some fairly accurate measurements of a car. Those of you following my Narrow rebuild thread will know that I already have some taken some pretty accurate drawings and dimensions from that. :)

rollingchassis3.jpg

So the next step was to translate all those dimensions into a shape that could easily be folded from paper. As usual I'm using SolidWorks :cool: to create a 3D model and in this case a simple line mesh to sketch the basic shape.

SWMesh.jpg

Fantastic. You must now send your 3d  CAD off to get 3D printed  :cool:

Fantastic. You must now send your 3d  CAD off to get 3D printed  :cool:
Thanks Andy, we always used stereolithography during my time in engineering as it gave better tollerances and surfaces to take direct castings from, although 3D printing has come quite a long way since then.

Once happy with the overall shape of the mesh, surfaces were added to create each of the separate flat parts, in this case the interior panels and arches.

SWBuildSurfaces.jpg

This process was then continued for all the other parts until the virtual model was completed.

SWsurfaces.jpg

I blame marcusb 

Ime innocent honest  :laugh:

Don't forget to make a wide and narrow tunnel version.

Sorry Bernie, but this one's a narrow body with a live axle :d