The Economy in your area

Plastics

this is an interesting thread.  Langy - thats a shame mate that 2 people didnt turn up.  I worry, as a professional tree climber aged 40, that i dont know how long my body will cope with the demands of the job... 

Just got to hope that the 1 person that did turn up is in the right ball park with regards to cost :oops:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Norman Verona

• alexander72

• KugaWestie

• langy

The economy is bad all over the place without doubt, but there are many beacons of good business if you look. It is almost an embarresment for some employers to say they are doing well as some think they must be greedy or something. The area that is doing very well is the black economy where you can get anything done for cash if you want and have no moral compass to guide you. That doesn't mean you get it done well but cheap which is what we seem to all want it would appear.

I had three quotes for over £4k of paving work, three turned up only one gave an itamised breakdown of the work as requested, the other two gave all in prices, not what I wanted. Only one chased up with a follow up call to make sure I had what I wanted, the others did not and did not get the job.

As for Norms comment on what went wrong. It is simple. It was when school kids were told that unless they went to University they had failed, when they were told manual work had no worth and those who did it were not that bright. We now have a generation who think as they have a degree in anything, they have a right to £30k to start regardless of the job worth and anyone who does manual work is somehow an under acheiver.

jeff, agreed the ridiculous target of 50% to Uni was stupid.But I also see greed in the 80s onward that has caused the economy to be in the state it is. Banks just went on fueling the debt  until it all came crashing down. This seemed to have happened in most developed countries.

How do you manage personal total debt, excluding mortgages, of a trillion pounds. 

We all just spent, spent and spent again on credit. The banks just kept lending money to people who had no chance of paying it back.

But to bring this up to date the government ignores the Keynesian wisdom of supporting the economy by spending on capitol projects. Under those circumstances I'm surprised unemployment isn't higher. Or is that just manipulation of figures?

after the first three quarters we were going along nicely with smallish increase on turnover but good increase on profits :t-up:

the last three months however have been dismal :down:  - I dont think we have lost much if any to competitors it is just that most are not spending plus some local bigger employers are laying off too which does not help

working very hard to claw back some of the lost ground :t-up: