The Economy in your area

Plastics

In my area economy has tanked.. Portugal mainland is bad but Madeira Island is now even worse.. an island of 250,000 inhabitants is 6,000 million euros in debt! I don't foresee great days ahead =/

Hopefully soon things will change.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Norman Verona

• alexander72

• KugaWestie

• langy

Dealer system business is steady. However at the moment the dealers don't want to commit to new systems because most of the manufacturers have given the dealers notice under the present contracts pending new contracts which may comply with EU guidelines. It puts deals on hold but then they all want the new system tomorrow.

Feast or famine - always been that way.

well after being made redundant in september was begining to think that it was it for me .after applying for over 50 jobs and no interviews either  just no response or dear johns. but managed to get a chance interview last week and i have been offered the job to start in the new year.

but what i found was how poor the wages are and how do people live on it?.

lucky for me i managed to blag a reasonable one :laugh:  :laugh: .

its not good out there and its getting worse :down:

Pete, Somewhere we went wrong. In the early 60s we all knew our place, my aspiration were to earn the working mans wage of £20 per week. By the time we got to the 80s it was "loads of money" culture.

The country lived on credit. When personal debt reached 1 trillion pounds I said th HM, that it couldn't last, it would all come crashing down. I thought I was wrong as the crash took over two years to happen.

Employers couldn't get decent staff so just kept increasing prices to ramp up wages as if more money got better quality staff, (In my experience it doesn't).

Comparing wages and prices in France with the UK all that is happening is a leveling off to get the two closer. Problem is that prices aren't falling fast enough so people are disadvantaged. 

We need to think again about how we earn our money. If you think we can compete with China or India you'll be earning $5 a day. And if you think you can maintain living standards outside Europe I think you'll regret it as the soup kitchen lines get longer.

OK, my view, but I'm really pleased for you.

well after being made redundant in september was begining to think that it was it for me .after applying for over 50 jobs and no interviews either  just no response or dear johns. but managed to get a chance interview last week and i have been offered the job to start in the new year.

but what i found was how poor the wages are and how do people live on it?.

lucky for me i managed to blag a reasonable one :laugh:  :laugh: .

its not good out there and its getting worse :down:

Good news then Pete, I'm pleased for you.

I'm in Telecomms and there is plenty of work for the last 3 years. New technology such as Infinity has helped. At the mo. we have been able to work all the hours we want, guess I'm lucky.

When I did my C&G at night school back in the 60's the principal lecturer told me I would be better off chicken farming .

Many times over I wish I had taken his advice :t-up:

We used to sneak off to the local snooker hall for a few frames , if dad caught us in there (which hedidoften )  it was a belt round the ear 'ole  with the words

"Get home and get some homework done , theres no future wasting your time playing snooker "

That was in the days before Steve davis & co , thought about that one a few times since :oops:

Great news for Christmas! Congratulations.

It would appear that the economy in my neck of the woods is thriving.

Took Friday off work and organised for 3 people to look at and provide a quote for some work in my garden (few £k).

Only 1 person turned up !

I was talking to my daughter last night. She manages the help desk at Dealer Management Services, the company my son and I own.

She was telling me about one of the staff who wouldn't do as he was supposed (communicate with the user) and was complaining about her having a go at him all the time. I suggested she starts issuing verbal (written) warnings and written (written) warnings and then get rid.

Her response really surprised me. She didn't want to do this as he would be hard to replace. They advertised his job about a year ago and 2 people applied. They have a "graduate" and the advert for his position brought forward 3 people and only he was suitable.

Who know why. Are there no unemployed looking for jobs in Sheffield. Do the qualified people prefer to stay in the job they have. Or do they prefer to stay on benefits. The job isn't highly paid but is in line with market pay. They can go over the average with bonus linked to sales.

I'm due to be made redundant in the next year or two. Not decided whether to go for a permanent position or contracting, it will depend what the market is like when the time happens. It's IT programming/developing, business workflow and OCR so just have to hope for demand at the time!

Dommo, depends. A friend of mine left us and went back to London 16 years ago. He's a Pick programmer (self taught) and has been on contract to MAAF ever since. His annual contract is like a revolving door.

However, his £85,000 pa has no holidays, no sick pay, no pension so he has to consider all this.

I don't think there'a anything left of "job security" so, if you can get a lucrative contract and make private provision for a pension (as the employed are doing anyway) and aren't bothered about sick pay then go for a well paid contract.

this is an interesting thread.  Langy - thats a shame mate that 2 people didnt turn up.  I worry, as a professional tree climber aged 40, that i dont know how long my body will cope with the demands of the job... 

tough time for me at the moment ,leaving the bodyshop and my partner and setting up on my own , thinking positive but we will see ...............................................found a unit which is near perfect for me ,have lots of westfield parts in the pipeline which will be of interest to most hopefully , but struggling with my health at the moment ....watch this space

Mark, I'm confused (not unusual) but did you forget to post something?