Insurance Question

Doug Dastardly

Commuting/commuter

We were fitting our very first computer system at the Nissan dealer in Peterborough. We had the keys as we were staying late to sort out initial problems with the software. We had to hand the keys to the night man on the forecourt. After a few days he asked what we were doing. "installing a new computer system". "Oh, I've heard o' them, they go up to London every day"

I had business use on my Westy last year and I think it cost an extra £12 - a small price to pay (F Pickles). Doesn't apply now (hooray!)

Rory's Dad

Sounds like honesty won't actually cost much then, so must remember to discuss this at my next renewal.

It's not that I'm dishonest or trying to pull a fast one, I'd just never really thought about it. I don't drive to work but do occasionally go to meetings etc that could be classed as work related. I've not used the westy for this yet but have gone by bike which would have the same sort of restrictions.

It sounds a bit sneaky of the Police to wait outside the airbase (!), but it does tend to illustrate my earlier point about the primary purpose of the journey being self evident.

This thread illustrates an easy trap to fall into though and a mistake that can easily be made entirely innocently. Commuting cover to a normal place of work is not the same as full business cover for any business journey (typically more frequent use, higher mileage, so higher risk).

The nature of my work means i have to insure my cars for business travel. As a condition of the reimbursement i receive for that mileage, i anually have to provide copies of my insurance and mot certificates to my employer to prove to them that i am properly insured and legal for all the journeys i do :bangshead: I would guess otherwise there would be a degree of liability against them should i be involved in an accident during my normal working day but didn't have the correct level of insurance.

Mark, I would guess that's because it's an LA. A private company probably wouldn't do that.

Mark, I would guess that's because it's an LA. A private company probably wouldn't do that.

Probably true Norman, it's annoying but for me its only a few photocopies, and it makes me smile when i have to explain to HR what a Westfield is :d

can you get business coverage for just one day? i need to go to a conference and a training course which i will want to drive to rather than get a train

Hi Guys,

You do need to have the use on your policy exactly as you use he vehicle.

Social domestic and pleasure unfortunately does not include the odd trip to work.

If you do the odd commute in the car you will need to get social domestic pleasure including commuting. (Some companies charge for this others don't.)

If you take the car to a different place of work than your usual place of work (training courses, meetings etc) the you will need business use.

If anyone has any queries feel free to give me or my team a call .. we will happily accommodate all of the above :)

Clare

• Like 1

Clare are you able to specify the type of business use. As you have probably read when I talked about it to insurers in the past my business use was astronomical because of transporting students (which I would never do). Are you able to insure business use of "occasional commute to different place of work" only, or am I forced to pay big increase so that I can do something which I don't need?

Paul

Clare are you able to specify the type of business use. As you have probably read when I talked about it to insurers in the past my business use was astronomical because of transporting students (which I would never do). Are you able to insure business use of "occasional commute to different place of work" only, or am I forced to pay big increase so that I can do something which I don't need?

Paul

In your case its difficult to say ... you should pay the same for class 1 use if you are a teacher or an insurance broker. If it was astronomical were you covered for 'hire and reward'? (being paid fully to transport people).

Clare

Hi Clare, thanks for getting back

I don't know it was a long time ago as it was my first kit car. I was told that as I was a teacher I could have either Social, domestic pleasure with commuting to fixed place (like i have now). or Business and that was it.

Business meant that I could transport students and as they were minors (ie under 16) it was expensive, I think its the public liability type thing ie If I have an accident with a minor in the car they (or parents) are entitled to sue me. So I needed insurance against this hence the high premium.

There was no option for in-between so have always gone for the commuting one, assuming that as the insurer knew I was a teacher and therefore would be required to occasionally do Inset/meetings at other locations and would be covered. Its never occurred to me until now that I'm not!

What does Class 1 actually cover, for kit car and teacher? Or any profession for that matter as I know that nurses, doctors, dentists etc. all have similar type contracts which will involve training/meetings at different locations. How much difference is it?

It might have all changed since I last enquired but I know that my school recently sent an email around saying you had to have a certain class of insurance to transport students (I will look it up tomorrow if it would help). Ideally I don't want this insurance as I never want to be in a position where I could be asked to transport students. I would like just to be covered for occasional meetings.

Cheers

Paul

It sounds a bit sneaky of the Police to wait outside the airbase (!), but it does tend to illustrate my earlier point about the primary purpose of the journey being self evident.

I am reliably informed that in Luton the police sit outside those huge wholesale warehouses and stop cars and vans coming out laden with food and provisions for sale in their corner shops.

Most havent insurance for using their cars/estates/vans for this purpose so if you are carrying any sort of stuff around to do with your business this is not considered commuting it is using your car/van etc for work.