Its About That Time Of Year

SteveD

i think it would be nice to have a class where you all had the same setup like the caterham academy where you win by skill not by having a bigger budget

Well there you go fifan, my sentiments exactly.

Through bereavement and inheritance I now find myself in a position to raise the value of my weekend toy. Would I prefer to compete in an 8 valve class with the little blue one :(

"Yes"

Its never a level playing field

Drivers own weight is different, tyres can be newer, engines can be "looked at, car made lighter

Its unavoidable

i think it would be nice to have a class where you all had the same setup like the caterham academy where you win by skill not by having a bigger budget

Thats fine, if you have a 20 grand budget AND want to do circuit racing where someone else can destroy your car leaving you without a racecar at all....

Like Terry says some are more equal than others even in that series :-)

Indeed, once you get past everyone having to buy a brand new "control" car/kit, or last seasons car etc. You then have another problem!

Because the cars are, on paper, so closely matched, the performance differences become fractions of a second. All of a sudden highly expensive blue printing of the whole car comes in to play.

The tighter the regs, the harder and more expensive it is to get at those tiny fractions of a second, and there will always be someone willing to pay.

I've never seen two Westfield's the same :oops:

The Aerorace kit the Dutch series uses is probably the current equivalent of the grads' cars I guess.

You don't need a very deep pocket to compete in class A or B, and look how popular that has been in the last year or two!! The fact is, that sprinting and hillclimbing doesn't seem to appeal to those who run what you might call a "standard" road going Westfield. Those of us to whom sprinting and hillclimbing appeal are much more likely to want to make our cars as quick as we can afford and feel capable of handling competently, hence the number of competitors in classes D and F particularly. Road going cars, but very quick, as quick as we can afford. Although admittedly some of the class F cars hardly ever go on the road, nevertheless they still have to have a current mot and be taxed. Personally, I miss using my car on the road as much as I used to, hence I "may be" changing classes this winter. ;) ;) ;)

Oh, and regardless of budget differences, I think that without exception, the class winners in the Speed Series are amongst the most skilled drivers in the Series.

See the same conversation happens here, even after a 6 year gap, good to keep thoughts and ideas going. The futures bright, the futures orange !!!!!!,

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, but is it orange in class H,, F or somewhere else???......

would that be duck a l'orange then.... :oops::d

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

served with a splash of blue Curacao maybe? :d :d

The old jokes are the best, mr aspden we will see what 2013 brings.

What do folks think about the Mag seven race regs? Similar number of classes to the SS?.. too complicated? ... too hard to police?

2012 CSCC Magnificent Sevens Series

The Magnificent Seven race series enters its fourth season and is for all Caterham, Lotus, Westfield, Tigers or similar type cars as deemed

acceptable by the Classic Sports Car Club. The chassis and silhouette must remain as per original manufacture's design from all angles.

Windscreens or aeroscreens must be used. Lights where fitted must operate. A high intensity rear light must be fitted as per the MSA Blue

Book in addition to working stop-lights. Cars to run on MSA list 1A/1B treaded tyres.

Class Structure

:

Class A For cars fitted with engines up to 1750cc with a power limit of 140 bhp.

Class B For cars from 1751cc to 1800cc, 2000 cc Duratec R 300's and naturally aspirated bike engines up to 1399 cc.

Class C For cars fitted with 2000 cc Duratec engines C 400's ( 220 bhp )

Class D For modified Rover K-series & Vauxhall's producing up to 230 BHP and 1400cc to 1600cc naturally aspirated bike engines.

Class E For cars fitted with engines from 1600cc to 1800 cc with a power output of 141 to 185 bhp. This includes the early 1800 Rover Kseries

engines fitted with throttle bodies and the original RoverSport engine management system.

Class F For Westfields, 1800 cc to 2000 cc running on nominated control tyre ( Toyo Proxes R 888 ) and a regulated power output. Those

Westfield competitors who wish to race on a choice of 1A or 1B tyres with unregulated power output will be placed in the appropriate class for

their power output.

Class G CSRs and Duratec-engined Cars producing 221bhp to 260 bhp

Class H All cars with engines producing more than 260 bhp

Class I Invitation class (Not eligible for awards)

• Like 1

What do folks think about the Mag seven race regs? Similar number of classes to the SS?.. too complicated? ... too hard to police?

2012 CSCC Magnificent Sevens Series

The Magnificent Seven race series enters its fourth season and is for all Caterham, Lotus, Westfield, Tigers or similar type cars as deemed

acceptable by the Classic Sports Car Club. The chassis and silhouette must remain as per original manufacture's design from all angles.

Windscreens or aeroscreens must be used. Lights where fitted must operate. A high intensity rear light must be fitted as per the MSA Blue

Book in addition to working stop-lights. Cars to run on MSA list 1A/1B treaded tyres.

Class Structure

:

Class A For cars fitted with engines up to 1750cc with a power limit of 140 bhp.

Class B For cars from 1751cc to 1800cc, 2000 cc Duratec R 300's and naturally aspirated bike engines up to 1399 cc.

Class C For cars fitted with 2000 cc Duratec engines C 400's ( 220 bhp )

Class D For modified Rover K-series & Vauxhall's producing up to 230 BHP and 1400cc to 1600cc naturally aspirated bike engines.

Class E For cars fitted with engines from 1600cc to 1800 cc with a power output of 141 to 185 bhp. This includes the early 1800 Rover Kseries

engines fitted with throttle bodies and the original RoverSport engine management system.

Class F For Westfields, 1800 cc to 2000 cc running on nominated control tyre ( Toyo Proxes R 888 ) and a regulated power output. Those

Westfield competitors who wish to race on a choice of 1A or 1B tyres with unregulated power output will be placed in the appropriate class for

their power output.

Class G CSRs and Duratec-engined Cars producing 221bhp to 260 bhp

Class H All cars with engines producing more than 260 bhp

Class I Invitation class (Not eligible for awards)

Now if only the NSSCC would adopt that class E structure :)