Trolley Jack Recommendation Please

Captain Colonial

Im considering the single seater type, quicklift if anyone has any opinions..

Darrell

Fine for changing wheels, but they mostly don't lift high enough to get stands underneath -- i.e. fine for circuit/trackday use, but of more limited utility in your garage.

The one in our family is the DT offering: not very expensive and works fine.

HTH

I have one of Normans BB's and the alloy one from Costco. Both are fine on the Westfield but the Costco one is far easier to use on a normal tintop.

The most obvious difference is the twin 'pump' cylinders on the Costco item, this seems to help with the heavier car.

You have to keep an eye out for the Costco stuff as they dont have items all the time.

Garry

• 1 year later...

I know this is bumping an old thread, but if anybody is currently looking for a jack then I can recommend this one I got from Machine Mart yesterday.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-ctj1250ab-1-25-tonne-aluminium-racing-j

Used it today along with the ratchet axel stands also from MM to do the oil change.

The Jack is a piece of art work, really a lovely bit of kit. And I'm really glad I went for the low access racing type. There is no way the std trolley jacks would have gone under without a pre-lift.

And thanks to all those who posted about Jacking Points, I read the threads before selecting a place to raise mine.

Putting some liquid gasket in the old/mighty crossflow then!?

Yup, nice to see +2 bar for a change.

The chap I got it from did have it serviced just before I collected it and a new rocker cover gasket was put on.

But when I came to change it again, the screws were really lose. Am I right in thinking a cork gasket need nipping up after fitting to allow for compression?

The Ali jaack you show there is the choice of many a trackdayer, including myself.

I had to go round my cork gasket screws and nip them up after a week or or two.

I have one of the ali jacks, Clarke's I think it says (or is it Clark?).

Great for lightweight kit cars and the like, but I wouldn't use it too regularly on tintops, they are then pushed to their limit, and are liable to fail. I have used it very occasionally to change a wheel on my Volvo, but I wouldn't want to do it too often. For the same reason, not much good in the garage trade.