Trolley Jack Recommendation Please

Captain Colonial

So it's coming up to "that" time of year again in two months, and I'm starting to get the double-barrelled "You're impossible to buy for!" and the "What do you want for (that day)?" already.

Well, I don't want anything and I don't really need anything, but a trolley jack would be useful when working on the Westfield. I current use a scissor jack and some axle stands afterwards, but it's a bit of a pain in the :arse: these days winding up a scissor jack.

Its duties would be fairly rare, perhaps on odd occasions also jacking up the tin tops to remove a wheel, but nothing more. So it doesn't need to be anything industrial or expensive, but I don't want a Lidl special either, as I'm not keen to be crushed.

I have a Machine Mart nearby, and maybe my Uncle Norman might get a discount code sometime soon... :cool:

Anyway, your recommendations welcome - thanks! :t-up:

Im interested in this too, I like those low entry two pumps and you're done (that sounds familiar! :( ) but not the price...

My aluminium jack from Norman's second bulk buy is still going strong and doing sterling service on the Westfield. I'm sure I remember at the time, the same factory used to supply Machine Mart, so they'll be available in some description from there.

As well as being lower entry, the lighter weight aluminium construction, (compared to steel), doesn't half help when it comes to toting it round the garage.

The Machine Mart item is indeed the same as the Bulk Buy unit. I think they're about £90. We paid £60 which included shipping, dock fees and VAT.

Mine is still going strong but some have had to replace the seals. Not a big job. However some of those I've seen were covered in dust and grit so that may have been the problem.

No discount vouchers lately, I think they've stopped them. However I'll let you know if one arrives in the next month or so.

• Like 1

Actually, the Lidl stuff comes from germany, and as such is TUV tested and more reliable than anything halfords or the like sell at double the price.

I've just bought a low entry model for the front of my Westy for about £40 - a Machine Mart standard does the back. Machine Mart show a low entry one in their catalogue but they have not turned up in the shops. The one I bought was one of these. Not used it yet but it looks fine.

Rory's Dad

Actually, the Lidl stuff comes from germany, and as such is TUV tested and more reliable than anything halfords or the like sell at double the price.

Agreed

Martin, That one isn't the same as the Bulk Buy item.

The BB item is TUV and CE marked.

Ed to add that we imported 600 in two BB's. The first 100 worked out at £60 and the second batch of 500 were £58. (If I remember correctly)

£350 quid for a jack! I'm in the wrong job David :down:

ive got one from halfords, its still ok and has been used on all sorts of stuff including the ex's 4x4. its a bit tall tho so can be awkward to get under the car (doesnt fit under the z4) so for that it might be worth mentioning it to be avoided.

David, the SGS item is the same as the Bulk Buy. I can't see the others in enough detail to say they are or not. However the Chinese manufacturer told me he makes the tools for Facom. This is why the BB jack was TUV certified.

Before we did the first BB Demon Tweeks had the same jack for sale at, wait for it, £535 PLUS VAT

I must apologise for the mistake above. The second BB was for 300 jacks not 500. It consisted of 300 jacks, 300 ratchet spanners in Metric and 300 in AF and 300 electric wheel nut guns.

This lot filled 3/4 of a container and I wanted to fill the container as a full one attracts less dock charges than a shared one. So I selected one of his tool chests and worked out we could get 17 in the container. I posted "first 17 to post gets a tool chest. I can't remember the price but I'd added £15 to the cost. I have no real idea why but it was the right thing to do.

The 17 posts saying "I'll have one" took about 10 minutes. The posts carried on, and, on and on. We ended up with 170 and two full containers.

The profit on this lot paid for a friend to get one of his artics to collect from the docks and drop off in Norfolk, Birmingham, Sheffield and Sussex. Then every one organised collections for their areas.

When we had the first BB sorted I thought we don't know who these people are we may never see any jacks or get a container full of old bricks. I emailed the British Consulate in Shanghai asking if they knew of the company. I received an answer next day saying they were one of the largest companies in China with a turnover in excess of $50 billion. They make everything from space rockets, ships, trains, lorries and tools. The second BB was valued at $98,000 and I must admit I did have a few sleepless nights before I got the paperwork through to certify it was on a ship to Felixstowe.