New To Winter Servicing

Hammy

Fill the tyres with helium so the car weighs less, avoiding flat spots.

Install a system to fill the fuel tank with helium as the fuel level goes down. Not only will it reduce the weight, it will also eliminate the fire risk of having air above the petrol. Don't try using hydrogen instead.

Don't fill the chassis and roll bar tubes with helium though, or your car will float away.

Jen

Hi Hammy,

Remove the Garfield from inside the windscreen and store it for the winter out of direct sunlight. A perished paw suction cup is a certain MOT failure come the spring.

Jenny

Hi

I'm a " typical" westie owner and have sorn my car for the winter- done 500 miles this year and it needed a big service again ! so far I've:

Changed the brake fluid

Took the sump off and cleaned it out

Put some very expensive racing oil in it

Sucked the oil out of the gearbox and diff and replaced it

Put new plugs in

Had the injectors cleaned

It didn't start too well on one ocassion , so I've ordered a geared starter and a very small battery.

Changed the coolant after having rad re cored ( the water was a bit dirty when I drained it ), just in case I swapped the stat and drilled a hole in it..

I've bought some new R888's and had them buffed down to 2mm ( I wore the old ones out this year!). In the spring ill get the geo done again as I drove over a lolly stick in the spring and fear it might be a bit out

I'm desperate to spend more money , is there something I've missed ?

- my mate who does the speed series has his engine refreshed ( new bearing etc ) every 10 miles, should I get mine done?

Where's XI129 when you need him, he'd have been brilliant for this thread.

I always turn my wishbones upside in the winter so the bushes don't dry out. sometimes I forgot to put them back the right way. Doesn't really matter though.

don't forget to put your car on axles stands and drive it flat out in 5th so the prop shaft doesn't seize.

After only 500 miles of use this year the windscreen washer fluid will certainly need to be drained and replaced.

• Like 1

Common lubricants such as WD-40 do a good job protecting against rust, but did you know that the primary element of WD-40 is fish oil? (It's true.) Much cheaper to go down to your local fishmonger and take away his excess fish oil, then liberally coat all metal surfaces on the car with it.

Apart from the certain MOT failure if you leave Garfield in there... Fit as many fluffy and furry things as possible such as dice, steering wheel cover, seat covers. These will help absorb any moisture over winter. Be sure to regularly check the condition of said furry things for mould and cat / squirrel doings as not attending to this could result a poor start come spring and the inevitable confusion as to whether the smell is coming from you or the car / garage / cat / wife / neighbours.

It may be prudent too, whilst hanging to keep all moving parts lubricated as has been previously advised, to add a sheet or tarp, preferably in a light colour below the car in order for you to diagnose any drippings that may happen during storage. Do not however go for a blanket or anything furry as you will end up with more work (and confusion) as noted above.

If going for the fish oil as noted by MemSec, then you could store the bits you will have removed in the house as the ambient temp and humidity would be generally more accomodating for plastics. Behind the sofa or in front of the TV / Washing machine are ideal.

Oh... and you've got the sump off already? If so, bung it in the dishwasher, leave a couple of weeks and run with the normal daily wash. Pop it in the tumble dryer on a store dry cycle - could even leave it in there if there is no more room in front of TV / Washing machine or behind sofa.

confusion as to whether the smell is coming from you or the car / garage / cat / wife / neighbours.

OR YOU!

Ah rookie mistake there when shaving the bodywork, take 10mm off from the inside, then it doesn't show, simples!

Lack of winter use has spoiled many a set of brake pads over the years, they need regular heat cycling; no problem, just pop em out, drop em in the toaster and away you go. By experimentation, I've found "4 1/2" on my toasters dial works best.

You forgot the moth balls and vermin traps , its a little known fact that infection by the "polyestermite" can eat your body panels away in weeks .

dont forget to wash out the inside of the header tank with MarkMK's steradent tablets...... before refilling with light distilled water as it's lighter than normal water...

Get the angle grinder out and buff all that extra glass off the windscreen, you should be able to get it down to 2 Microns without to much trouble,

I find heavy gauge Emery paper the best for finishing it off!

Don't forget that it may need a slight rub over with Jewellers rouge to get rid of any slight Scratches.

Edited by V8grunt

dont forget to wash out the inside of the header tank with MarkMK's steradent tablets...... before refilling with light distilled water as it's lighter than normal water...

No! No! No!

You need to use heavy water D2O in the cooling system. The higher density improves heat transfer from the engine to the radiator. The performance improvement easily offsets the extra weight.

Jen