Steering Wheel And Qr Boss - Poll

Doug Dastardly

Which Stuff?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi All,

I've worked myself into a right state of confusion looking at quick release bosses online. Unfortunately it would take a lot of miles and time to look at any in the flesh so online is the way to go for me.

I've done searches aplenty and am now totally confused.

I won't be doing option 3 but thought I should include it for fairness.

There's obviously a huge difference in price, but it is a safety critical item. Having said that plenty of people use ebay cheapies? :oops:

So I though a poll might be a new way to adress the issue?

While I was doing it, I though I might as well ask about steering wheels too. ???

Any help would be much appreciated.

Doug

P.S. My first poll so I hope I've done it right :(

Have you looked at any at a local area meet, per chance?

You'll get as many different answers as you can imagine, but nothing beats hands-on experience.

/Momo 280mm leather wheel with a very good bolt-on 10 ball bearing QR from eBay for me, no complaints

Suede can go shinny quite quickly if used without gloves (although gadgetman's is still looking pristine like the rest of his car), but choices in leather are little limited - hence momo team is popular.

Local Area meet would be 400 mile round trip for me!

If I had patience I would wait until I could get 'hands on' but I'm fed up bashing my knuckles off my knees and stretching to the wheel :(

I had that fake 'Sparco' Chinese piece of crap on my old BMW. It failed after a few months. I'd definitely not buy that cheap.

• Like 1

I had that fake 'Sparco' Chinese piece of crap on my old BMW. It failed after a few months. I'd definitely not buy that cheap.

No problems with mine so far

Very much personal choice. I had a 280mm momo type 26 in my last car and that was great. Suede gives better grip but does look worn quicker than leather. I now have a 285 Sparco like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sparco-P270-Steering-Wheel-Black-Suede-270mm-/290608494786?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a99db8c2 which is like a momo 11. That's good but ideally I'd like the same in 270mm diameter. Sparco comes pre-drilled suitable for a racetech QR - not that it's that difficult to drill the momo to fit the boss.

If going for something more budget than the Playskool item, (gulp), I'd go, and in fact have, a splinned Racetech type boss. Solid, safe and even after five years, absolutely minimal slop and play.

That said, I tried the Playskool boss at Stoneleigh; I have to confess, I'd previously thought it a highly overpriced novelty, who needs the luxury of the easy alignment etc!

Having had a go with it, I've changed my option completely, it's fantastically we'll made - you can feel the quality and prediction in its build, and you just know its going to be bombproof. The ease of use is soooo much better than conventional releases too.

In short, I want one, and the only reason I haven't bought one yet, is 'cause I've got a splinned boss welded to the column already, and my wheel drilled for the Racetech.

If you can possibly run to the Playskool, do it, you won't regret it, I'm sure.

My wheel:

accident247.jpg

Can't comment on the QR as the Caterham steering column is different and I got a QR hub that fits the spline. Am I correct in thinking the Westfield coloumn needs welding?

Steering wheel looks fine Norman, but it looks like you've been giving your kn*b too much abuse and it came off in your hand.

As always.

It's a picture of my missing lever saddle. Mind you how you can have a picture of something that's not there is something I'm still working on.

I've got a Racetech Q/R and wheel, and like them alot. Did have a suede wheel to start with, but after a few years on the car it did start to go shiny, so I replaced it with an equivalent leather one. Q/R boss is around just over £100, the Racetech wheel doesn't have a price listed, but I'm sure when I got my first one it was a fair bit cheaper than a Momo or Sparco. I've got a 265mm wheel.

I got mine from http://www.raceparts...+%2F+Couplings+

Saying all that though, I though the same as Gadgetman re the Playskool boss, but changed my mind when I saw it at Stoneleigh, so if I was in your position, Doug, I would be very tempted with the Playskool boss and Racetech wheel combo.

2287.jpg

2648.jpg

I would definately avoid any with a hexagon shaft as they tend to wear and develop play very quickly, i tried 2 different makes and both were same.. I recently purchased one of these http://go-race.co.uk/#/sprint-info/4558895104. I have done about 900 miles and is still very solid. It works on the same kind of principle as the Playskool one and is very nicely made for the price.

Racetech for me too :)

Think these are available from westfield , could be re branded but are identical ?