• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

A What Car Thread.......

langy

Right I've been on a here for a good while now, have met a few of you and would take on board any advice given by the majority of people here, so here goes....

I parted company with my Quantum Xtreme yesterday and am ready to start looking for something to replace it. The Xtreme had a pinto and 140bhp, it was more than adequate and I thoroughly enjoyed every second I was driving it.

So what do I want from the replacement 'toy' car.....

• Something that makes my grin like a kid when i jump in it
  • Something i can tinker about with
  • Must be able to fit in a single garage with a bit of space for other toys (bikes etc)
  • Something I can take on a track without any issues (noise, reliability, no mahosive running costs)
  • Proven track record in what it does (i know this is subject to build etc....)
  • Roofless of roofed.... highly dependant on what it is...
  • Something that willfully wastes petrol :d
  • Something that is built, don't mind upgrading things myself
  • Something I'd fit in, (skinny and 6 ft +)

Things I've considered over the last couple of months are:

• Ultima GTR - tad on the expensive side, may have noise issues, not much space left in the garage
  • GD Lola T70 - similar issues as the GTR, and only one for sale !
  • Westy of some description - more of a track version than carpeted and creature comforts,
  • Carterham - to keep the heritage thing going........ :p R300 ish
  • Porsche boxster / 911 (or whatever number designation they are)
  • TVR T350 - look nice
  • Atom - far too exposed, not for me

So it's over for to the collective for comments, advice, any previous experiencing in owning any of the above, general banter, etc, etc.....

Oh and budget...... not quite enough to buy an Ultima GTR at the lower end of the market :(

if you want to track it then it takes out most of the above apart from the 7's and the atom IMO

I really would like a T350 as you know but It would be an additional car as I would imagine it would deteriorate or give problems fairly quickly if given some beans

I suppose a boxter would be a compromise - dont expect it to be anyway near so much fun on the track though

I know some may consider it a bit girly because of the lesser models but these are remarkably affordable (to buy) - you know you want one dont you - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3932538.htm

The GD T70 would be my top choice :love: noise issues on that or indeed an Ultima shouldn't be an issue as they can be made quiet with the right equipment

GT40 replica would be on my list too but I've always been a fan of older sports racing cars

The GD T70 would be my top choice :love: noise issues on that or indeed an Ultima shouldn't be an issue as they can be made quiet with the right equipment

Yep, its a stunning car, but at £45k..... this is the only one i know of for sale, but it has been on the market sometime. However, I don't think they'll be knocking 33% off the asking price anytime soon.

Nice Blue AC Cobra in Pistonheads Classified. 55 reg, 4 Ltr rover engine. ( chose priced low to high option) that would make me smile everytime I got in it!

that chap that used to hang in hear sometimes had his monster Aeon GT for sale - from memory it was 20k ish but it was a beast with 400bhp

you might find it with a search on PH or it may have even been advertised in here - I was taken out in the roofless version (300bhp turbo'd Audi engine) and It scared the living daylights out of me - although I dont like being a passenger :blush::d

found it - pretty awsome car

smaller than a ultima (less claustrophobic due to central driving position) you can get two m8s in with you - quicker than most of them too - good for pulling ladies :love:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3999173.htm

• Like 1

Nice Blue AC Cobra in Pistonheads Classified. 55 reg, 4 Ltr rover engine. ( chose priced low to high option) that would make me smile everytime I got in it!

This one ? looks nice, but I would almost feel a bit 'rude' thrashing that around on a track. I do like the cobra's though. I think the only issue is that there is such a variation in the models, I would need to look at a good few deciding.

Got to be a Westy for best value for money.

But get one someone else has built and sorted. :)

found it - pretty awsome car

smaller than a ultima (less claustrophobic due to central driving position) you can get two m8s in with you - quicker than most of them too - good for pulling ladies :love:

http://www.pistonhea...les/3999173.htm

Nice car, I remember when scooby used to post on here, interesting suggestion. Think i'd like to see one in the flesh, don't think the yellow does it any favours though.

Got to be a Westy for best value for money.

But get one someone else has built and sorted. :)

My thoughts exactly... and there was me thinking you being one of our resident 'heritage' owners would be suggesting one of those ?

In all honesty, I do prefer the look of the 'heritage' marque over the Westy...... prepares to get flamed, banned from the club...... etc.. :d

must admit lack of high enough roll bar protection might be an issue with a cobra although people do track them - I have only say in two Cobras and they felt very cramped inside (no doubt some kits have more room than others)

they do look the business though - you know you will turn into a polisher though dont you :d