Fitting An Oil Catch Tank

ALANBEAL

Yes. As long as its installed securely/safely as per everything else really. Though it is often one of those things that get left till the first "post IVA upgrades", some do the test with little more than open breathers, maybe with a filter stuck on the end.

But view it the other way, if you haven't got a tank, and should end up dropping oil, (hopefully unlikely), it's one of those things that doesn't reflect so well on the build, if they've got to follow you round with a bucket of sand*

*exagerating to make a point, but you see what I mean ;):d

Yes. As long as its installed securely/safely as per everything else really. Though it is often one of those things that get left till the first "post IVA upgrades", some do the test with little more than open breathers, maybe with a filter stuck on the end.

But view it the other way, if you haven't got a tank, and should end up dropping oil, (hopefully unlikely), it's one of those things that doesn't reflect so well on the build, if they've got to follow you round with a bucket of sand*

*exagerating to make a point, but you see what I mean ;):d

Thanks will fit one whilst access to do so is still good !

Paul.

As an alternative to drilling holes, you could make a custom bracket/plate to screw it to. Chap who built mine mounted a small tank on the back of the engine in this way.

It's neat but the first bracket that went on fractured, requiring a replacement to be made (slightly thicker this time), and also needed nylocs to avoid the tank vibrating itself loose.

I fitted mine pre IVA, there is a section that says about construction quality which talks about danger whilst driving etc. certainly oil leaks would not look good. Things like proper catch tanks with routed pipes etc. all go as part of looking "well built" IMHO. Certainly my examiner commented on the neatness of the engine bay and how I had ensured it was well routed without chaffing anywhere. Yours looks superb BTW. I mounted mine on the passenger footwell end. My washer bottle was mounted to the side of the peddle housing, so it was near the expansion bottle although it does clutter the skuttle.

I would recommend either a "proper" catch tank or no catch tank for IVA certainly not "old beer can strapped to the chassis".

Hope that helps

Paul

:laugh: though I dare say many do pass, probably best not modelling the "rat look" for IVA if you don't have to ;)

Having look at Stuart's (The Stoat's) car I'm going to mount my catch tank in the nose between the engine and rad (assuming it will fit with the ducted nose!). There are two unused tabs from the cross-member down there that seem perfect for bolting a bracket to.

Hi

Thanks some pics would be great

Really sorry I forgot about this till it came back to the top of the list. I got excited and cracked on with my rebuild and forgot to take photos. I will get some over the weekend.

Thanks for this post - it spurred me to fit a catch tank before the IVA. I made a bracket out of one of the steel steering column mounts, cut in half and then straightened out, that was surplus to requirements because I used aluminium brackets. - details at http://2js-westfield-build.blogspot.co.uk/ 26 Jul 2012. I have subsequently plumbed it in with silicone hose and I'm hoping to start the engine today. The total cost of the tank and hose was less than £36, but if buying on ebay watch out where the tank is being shipped from as many are in Asia, the one I bought from QPS arrived the next day by 1st class post.