Fitting An Oil Catch Tank

ALANBEAL

Hi All

I know it has all been gone through before but it all seems so complicated and my skills are limited No plastic bottles etc A profession installation some where in the engine bay ,no cutting or mods of a tank that will not fit prefer to use existing holes or mount on engine as I am a coward and do not wish to drill the chassis

engine 2.0ltr Zetec

please help Alan

Do you have room on the scuttle panel? If so just buy a catch tank from ebay (I have one which looks like this: linky), attach it to the scuttle and connect the hose to your breather....it really doesn't require any skills (unless there is something special about a zetec I'm unaware of)

Scuttle is probably the most common, though those with aeroscreens often fit them to the front of the passenger footwell end panel, where the washer bottle would go on a screened car. After that your really starting to look towards chassis mounting. I've seen quite a few mounted to the diagonals that run across the width of the car just in front of the engine. If you don't want to drill the chassis member, (though that's what many do), you could perhaps make a clamp that fit round the chassis tube, the tank could then bolt to the clamp.

Was this yours at Castle Combe Alan?

0aef8557.jpg

Very nice, can understand why you don't want to "clutter" the scuttle....

I actually have mine cable tied to an upright at the front of the engine bay, but being a BEC I have loads of room...

Hi

You never escape to power of the press,yes thank you that is my Westie.I love it I just wish I was more practical

Alan

If you want it neat and out the way mine sits between the radiator and front of the engine. I have the noise cone off at the moment if a picture would help?

Mine is also fitted between engine and radiator/battery link does require a bit of drilling though plus I made an ali support

If you want it neat and out the way mine sits between the radiator and front of the engine. I have the noise cone off at the moment if a picture would help?

This is exactly where I've been looking to fit mine as there is loads of room! Pics please (or I'll pop round for a look!).

This is exactly where I've been looking to fit mine as there is loads of room! Pics please (or I'll pop round for a look!).

I will have the nose off for a bit so feel free to pop round. :-)

I am planning where to remote mount my oil pressure switch.

Scuttle is probably the most common,

Isn't that because it's higher? I was under the impression that it's better to mount a catch tank higher rather than lower - or does it not make any difference?

Hi

Thanks some pics would be great,Also how you would run the pipe work rubber hose or try in tubing as it is quite a long run as my take off is at the rear offside of the engine have seen a factory built westie with the oil catch tank at the front small problem I have twin horns mounted very nicely on the front cross member I would have thought that the oil catch tank would be better lower oter wise oil may flow back into the engine?

Alan

Just made on ali L shape base that bolted down and fitted next to the oil tank.

DSC_0145.jpg

Mine is really cheep and out of site. Requires an old aluminium camping/drinks bottle, copper plumbing T piece, a small breather filter bought on line, plastic Y piece, 2 zip ties and some electrical tape.

1, Wrap electrical tape around one end of T (to give purchase for bottle screw thread) and screw into threaded top of bottle so that the 'T gives on exit straight up and one off at 90 degrees.

2, Attach the filter the upper most leg of the T (Looks a bit like the red thing in Westy Turbo's photo)

3, Connect the breather pipe to the side of the T into the catch tank, if there are 2 pipes link them with a plastic Y bought from local motor factors before this point.

4, Zip tie the bottle to the chasis rails below the position shown in Westy Turbo's picture with bottle sat on bottom chasis rail for support.

As stated this is not the poshest method but is out of site and mine has been on for 3 years with no problems .