I Never Thought I'd Be Asking This.....

Mooch

i got an audi A6 avant 3.0 tdi quatro S line (auto) at the start of this year

it does absolutely everything i need - tows, carries dog, kids etc.... really nice and fun ! to drive unlike some other estates... and definately so much nicer to drive than and of the people carrier/jeeps.

i can;t rate it highly enough

IF i commuted i woudl consider a skoda for sure.. but most of my milage is leisure, so not that bothered about the MPG on this baby

I have a vw passat estate, great car huge boot and if you ever need to tow, it comfortably pulls a 2 ton trailer. My parents have the octavia estate and this is also a cracking car.

Most cars from the VAG (volks audi group) are good

Watch for saw toothing on inner edges of rear tyres. Skoda issued new camber setting for rear 1 deg 20 minutes plus minus 30 minutes with empty boot but full tank of fuel.

What year did they change ? Not noticed any uneven wear as yet but then only done low mileage , I take it there is a Skoda fix for the problem ?

Noise may be down to tyres, mine had continentals on it, when I changed after 18k miles to another brand, much less noise

Came with Dunlop sport 205/55/16's fitted , not sure but think these were an option , the car was pre registered with 7 delivery miles on the clock

I drove to the south of France and back again in a Superb with the wife and kids. Fantastic on the French roads, eats motorways and great economy 50mpg! Biggest problem was I couldn't reach the kids because they were so far back!!

When my son first got in it he ran back into his house to get 'all' his toys to fill the footwell. It is a 'huge' car! Make sure you have all round parking sensors. :t-up:

The trick boot is pretty good too, saloon and hatchback. (now copied by BMW :laugh: )

Not sure when they changed settings. My last one had no problem with tyres, this one has, not helped by towing a 1200kg caravan I am sure.

Old setting was 1 degree 45 minutes by the way.

Had 4x4 Octavia estate from 130k mile to 240k miles. Great car, brother owned it before me from new only ever had an exhaust manifold due to a crack at 230K miles. Would have kept this if it was diesel. Now have Passat (b6) estate, 1.9TDI, economy better than the skoda as you'd expect, car is much bigger than the skoda, but. it is starting to fall apart...due to 270K miles! It is also going rust, so if you look at at a passat estate, check round the rear numberplate lights, the water gets into the tailgate and rots it from the inside.

Would go for the Skoda before the passat, but I'd guess the passat is cheaper, it was when I was looking!

Reliability, if you listen to consumer surveys or personal experience, can only be subjective. It's only really measurable by warranty claims. Unfortunately the Skoda Superb scores on the wrong side of average if you consider this.

In fact, perhaps dispelling common opinion that VAG is reliable it might only be average. Certainly Audi (and this might not surprise Audi owners) scores very poorly on warranty claims.

This is a useful site http://www.reliabilityindex.com/

Mooch, a real treat could be something really exciting like a Subaru forester, insignia VXR estate or a Mondy titanium X sport. Would certainly stand out a little more than VAG :d :d :t-up: :t-up:

Sorry, but someone had to do it.....

Why do Skodas have a rear window wiper?

To clean off all the flies that crash into them!

How do you double the value of a Skoda?

Fill its tank with petrol!

What do you call a Skoda with no roof?

A skip!

Seriously though, i think they are very well respected now.... The only thing that would put me off is their relationship to VW. I had a bad experience with a new VW Van, and swore never to have another VW on the drive again.

Hope you enjoy what ever you choose. :t-up: :t-up:

The warranty surveys are somewhat misleading. VAG have a policy to carry out a myriad of warranty work whilst cars are in for service. The vast majority of these are preventative, like replacing wheel bearing because they have a history of early failure. Early failure refers to hundreds of thousand kilometers and probably several years time. Most of this work is done without the owners knowledge and there is no fault at that time.

Now, if you saw what I saw in the BMW warranty office you may change your opinion of that marque.

Mooch, a real treat could be something really exciting like a Subaru forester, insignia VXR estate or a Mondy titanium X sport. Would certainly stand out a little more than VAG :d :d :t-up: :t-up:

I'll be looking at all 3 as part of the quest. I'd actually ruled out anything french, and was not that interested in Vauxhall but I must admit, I've not driven or closely looked at the new Insignia, so it would be sensible to at least have a look. The Mondeo is in the mix, too, but I'm told the depreciation is unhealthy. That said, it makes a nearly new deal quite appetising so worth a nosey. The Scooby is a wild card too - it's actually one of the closest dealerships to me, and I'm told the Forrester is quite a dark horse performance wise. Not sure about capacity though.

And while we are at it, my favourite blast from the past: :

Q. What is he difference between a sheep and a Skoda?

A. It's less embarassing being seen getting out the back of a sheep

I am on my 6th BMW 5 series, and they have been faultless, now service periods are controlled by the IDrive I go 18months rather than the annual serviceing which keeps cost down even at BMW Dealerships. My sons have become Skoda converts, your Skoda dealer is trained at Milton Keynes along with Audi staff so you get Audi standard service.The Superb is acually an Audi, the Audi A1 is built by Skoda so is their new mid range car, the new bigger Yeti called the Big Foot will be built by Audi. If the Skoda badge puts you off they now have a new black badge on new models with the Skoda name removed. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Skoda were one of the best engineering companies in the world - before 1938 when the Germans took it over and stepped up the arms division. You may have heard of "Big Bertha" a railway mounted gun that shelled Paris in the first world war - made by Skoda.

And a lot of cakes were made by Skoda. ;)