I Never Thought I'd Be Asking This.....

Mooch

I'm looking into tin top options for next year when I'm planning on trading in the old Mazda 6 Estate. I'm planning on buying a large estate with plenty of goodies like Sat nav and leather either new or up to a year old. I need to carry kids, dog, band equipment etc but I also want to treat myself to something nice, so have been looking at Audi A6 Avant, VW Passat, Volvo V70 etc...

The thing is, the best car that keeps popping up in terms of price, spec, reliability and generally fitting the bill seems to be the Skoda Superb Estate. I never saw myself ever going for a Skoda, but It looks like it ticks every box and it's £10k cheaper than some other contenders. I know it's a well-built bargain of a car, but does everyone else agree?

As you can deduce from my trade in, I'm not a marque snob, but if I go for one of these, am I opening the door to a world of abuse and snide comments in the pub, or has everyone got over the badge issue?

Mooch, if you do want a Skoda, give me a shout as one of our customers is the biggest Skoda dealer in the UK. They're rarely beat for price.

My wife has an Octavia L&K. Lovely car and we've not had any issues with it quality wise in the last year that we've owned it.

I've also just driven the current Octavia vRS diesel estate with as it's on of my options for my next company car (I need something family size). I was quite impressed - nearly as quick as my current BMW and a nice drive.

I haven't driven the Superb but I have spoken to a few owners who have nothing but praise for them.

You'll still get a few comments but that really just shows the ignorance of the person dishing them out.

Mooch

I have had two Skoda Octavia VRS TDi's. Absolutely fantastic cars with a very good engine.

My Father was that impressed with my Octavias that he bought a Superb Saloon. TDi 170bhp engine with DSG, Full leather/satnav/bluetooth etc etc. He has had no trouble with it and loves it, so much so that he is toying with the idea of chopping it in for an estate version. He also does a fair bit of towing with it.

My wife is also on her second Fabia and also loves it.

They are a very good car/brand IMO.

Forget the comments - these come from people that are not wise to the secret of Skoda!

I had the odd comment in my 3 years of ownership, but the commenters soon shut up when the had a look at the car or a ride in it.

Go for it - you wont be dissapointed :yes:

Saab 9-3 Tiid. We have a 57 plate auto Tid and very happy, reliable so far, quick, well built!

My previous car was a Skoda Superb, only dubious think was its name. It was a great car.

Bought my Octavia estate 6 months ago , only complaint road noise could be better but that's being picky and you wont hear it anyway with the CD/ radio on , (which btw is superb )

Cant fault it otherwise :t-up:

Bought my Octavia estate 6 months ago , only complaint road noise could be better but that's being picky and you wont hear it anyway with the CD/ radio on , (which btw is superb )

Cant fault it otherwise :t-up:

Noise may be down to tyres, mine had continentals on it, when I changed after 18k miles to another brand, much less noise

unable to comment on the Skoda but you only ever tend to hear good things about them these days so go for it :t-up:

just purchased a 530d tourer and it has to be said it is the best car I have ever had (except the westy :p ) - not normally one to gush about cars but it is extremely well thought through in every respect particularly the 8 speed auto box - is the boot that big though? - umm not really :oops:

The 5 IMO is a better car than the equivalent Audi should you decide to spend a bit more cash and go for a German panzer :d

Noise may be down to tyres, mine had continentals on it, when I changed after 18k miles to another brand, much less noise

Watch for saw toothing on inner edges of rear tyres. Skoda issued new camber setting for rear 1 deg 20 minutes plus minus 30 minutes with empty boot but full tank of fuel.

Watch for saw toothing on inner edges of rear tyres. Skoda issued new camber setting for rear 1 deg 20 minutes plus minus 30 minutes with empty boot but full tank of fuel.

Yes that is a known Octavia problem. I dont own one anymore, but good information for others that do

You'll be a Happy Driver in one, I was. Miss mine terribly.

I have a Skoda Octavia VRS petrol, it's a terrible car, avoid!

Only kidding ;) , it's one of the best kept secrets out there. Bullet proof reliable cars for a great price

I think this is answers the question and it's what I thought you'd all say - it's only those of a certain age or not very well informed or hard of thinking that still see the old Skoda jokes as relevant - thanks for your comments, chaps, and I may well be in touch, Norman!

However, I'll look at all the options, including the Beemer 5 Touring. TBH I think I'd get more flack from my mates from owning a BMW than a Skoda!

However, I'll look at all the options, including the Beemer 5 Touring. TBH I think I'd get more flack from my mates from owning a BMW than a Skoda!

I get more positive compliments on the beemer than jut about any car I have owned - even the guy that washed my car the other day said he liked the car

I really didn't expect that as every other bl**dy car you see on the road seems to be a beemer :laugh:

the Skoda will be an entertaining car - the police use them around my area