Westfield As An Only Car.

Huambo81a

Huambo81a - if you have a good osteopath and an ability to fight of hypothermia from October to March then a Westy is a great choice. I speak as someone with experience as I ran, as my daily drive, for nearly 2 years a ford spartan - it was a while ago..... :-) good luck, james

Huambo81a - if you have a good osteopath and an ability to fight of hypothermia from October to March then a Westy is a great choice. I speak as someone with experience as I ran, as my daily drive, for nearly 2 years a ford spartan - it was a while ago..... :-) good luck, james

Thanks James. At least I know that is it possible albeit highly inadvisable !

Again, thanks to everyone for being so helpful and insightful.

Gadgetman, I know that you are absolutely correct, and you have confirmed what i feared regarding corrosion. As I said I don't mind if I'm uncomfortable and cold. I still have all my motorbike leathers and gloves, so that's no issue. It is really about keeping the car in a good condition.

Still can't stop trawling through Pistonheads classifieds though!

In an emergency, can you use the train/bus/get a lift to work?

If yes then go for it, worst thing is you hate it and sell the car within a few months :laugh:

Really, really do think though you're best abandoning the scree/weather-gear idea though. Just strip it out, budget for grp type seats if you can't get car with them fitted. (No wet cushions to sit on and soak up water) and use bikers wet weather gear. Keep yourself dry - that works, trying to keep the inside of the car dry if it rains for a month solid won't.

Oh yeah, meant to add, buy your ACF50 in bulk and keep at it!

Oh yeah, meant to add, buy your ACF50 in bulk and keep at it!

My old Suzuki was caked in the stuff. It's a painful experience riding your pride and joy on salt caked roads in the winter. Amazing how quickly Suzukis can rust.

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum. I used to have an 03 CTR too and absolutely loved it. Great car!

I was just giving it some thought regarding your point that you are looking for lower cost motoring. Have a good look at the costs because I'm not sure whether it will necessarily be cheaper to run. Road tax could be similar depending on how the westy is registered (mine is PLG therefore £240), fuel could be similar depending on how it's driven and insurance although cheap (approx £150-£200 annually), it's usually restricted mileage (up to 5000k/year). The costs you might incur from running it all year may offset any savings you can make.

As Gadgetman said though, no harm in giving it a go. You can always put it back on the market if it's not working for you.

I've done the winter run stuff in my previous kit car, sports cars and bike. I even planned to do the same when we bought the westfield, however it was not to be.

The main thing to consider imho is the roads. If you are in the city with very little country lanes then westfield should be fine. As has been said above think about the damp and weather proofing. However if you are like me and live in the countryside then as soon as it gets the snow on ice scenario then forget it.

The car is that light it becomes a toboggan where you are there for the ride! Hey even in the wet it can be twitchy! Also believe me, sh*ty ice/snow and slush up the armpit and in your face becomes less of a joy after about 10 minutes. My westfield offers far less protection than my bike did I know that sounds odd but you are a lot higher up on a bike so the cr*p tends to hit your legs rather than your face.

I would recommend having an old banger for winter or if you live in a place like where I live (ie there is no gritting) a small 4x4 (I got a suzuki jimny, old landy or similar) cracking for getting out of our village.

Hope thats helped.

Paul

I built a striker in my early twentys and for a couple of years of the four or so years I had it, it was my only car

so I have been there and done it

when I was young and hardy it was ok but there were times when I cussed my situation good and proper -

first thing is get some fibreglass seats (without pads) and drill holes to let the flavour (water) flood out - as Gadgetman says ACF50 is the kiddy at protecting the car from salty roads although your car will deteriorate fairly quickly unless you are very careful - wipers are crap as are heaters at clearing the misted up screen but if you are prepared to live with it then that is up to you

I have just been out with a m8, both in westies, and it rained the whole time we were out - it was bl**dy great fun :t-up:

Would I want to do it every day at my age - no fricking chance :laugh:

What you need is a car within your budget and with a stainless steel chassis...................., might be worth a look at my signature below ;)

although it doesn't have a roof and is fully carpeted

I ran an Autotune Gemini as my main transport for about 3 years. It was fine, but I would not want to do it again, because:

1. When it broke down and needed fixing (it happens!), finding alternative transport was doable, but a pain.
  2. I found it's wet weather gear was as effective as a Westfield's, so getting to work damp (from rain, spray etc!) was routine.
  3. I couldn't give a lift to more than 1 passenger - and that required a 'willing victim'. That made social arrangements etc difficult at times.
  4. Commuting nose-to-tail in traffic was a chore - and a bit risky. Lorries regularly didn't see me, especially in bad weather. I never had an accident, but 'evasive action' was required on several occasions!

The last point is the biggest one that puts me off doing it again - perhaps not as risky as a bike in traffic, but options for avoiding imminent trouble on 4 wheels are more limited.

Driving in the winter snow was a hoot! My commute also took me down some quieter lanes that never got gritted, and negotiating them was a great way of forgetting a c##p day at the office!

I bought my 1st Westy yesterday and drove her 2 hours home in 10% light rain and 90% dry. I realised with in minutes this is not a daily car. The main issue is the roof. It is a total compromise. With it on, your field of view is severely limited. It's safe, but because it slopes down to the screen, you end up peering under it. I found it so restrictive that as soon as I got home I removed it and had a blast at 10pm to see what the full experience was like :-)

I'm really excited about the fun and track time ahead, but I will definitely not be driving to the Ring :-)

Thanks for the comments guys. You really are a friendly bunch!

My first experience in a lotus 7 style car will hopefully be next month when I'm looking to hire a Caterham for the day or hopefully weekend if I have the cash It's not cheap, but will at least give me an insight.

Kinda hope it rains and snows, plus a tornado so I can experience the highs and lows.

Thanks again.

Given how the weathers been recently, you've got a good chance your wish might come true ;)

Have fun!

I know it's not a hire session as such, but there's always the Westfield Experiance days too - assuming there are more left this year?

And don't forget the factory test drives etc.

If you intend to use the Westfield as a daily driver, then the half hood from soft bits for seven could be a "comfort" option : rain protection, no "sauna" issue, better rear visibility, easy-in option...

It sounds like you're quite set on having a seven-type car, but perhaps something like a early MX5 might just provide the driving thrills you're looking for with a little bit more all-year round practicality?

Okay, it's perhaps a compromise on what you'd really like, but your quoted budget would likely get you a well sorted one with a decent hood, at least.