Westfield As An Only Car.

Huambo81a

Hi there.

New guy here, seriously considering buying a Westfield for all year round use. I can't afford two cars, so I have a few questions.

I'm currently driving an 03 Civic Type R, it's ok but it's expensive to run and insure. The engine is wonderful, if only it weighed 750kg less!

I have owned sports bikes in the past, and have run them as my only transport throughout winter, so being cold is not an issue for me.

I will be unable to garage this car, and will have to drive it come rain or shine (mostly rain I suspect) I am worried about keeping a Westfield outside. Disregarding security how do they cope with being rained on, and having the salt over them during winter months ( bikes hate salt ) I would of course endeavour to clean it often but still.

How reliable can I expect the average pinto engined Westfield to be? (that could be like asking how long a piece of string is)

Also, how weatherproof is the weatherproof kit?

My budget will most likely be small (5k if I am lucky) and I know I'm asking a lot of questions but any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom. I am truly a noob, but with a genuine desire to have just as many doors as I need ( zero ) and enjoy motoring in its purest form.

Sam

IMHO if you need to use the car daily (e.g. to get to work) then forget it. Buy something lighter than your civic but more useable all year such as an Elise or if Kit Car to get cheaper insurance etc a GTM Libra.

If you are still tempted - start the ownership at the start of the summer - if we still have those.

Have to admit I admire your enthusiasm but wouldn't recommend one as an only car. Unless you live where it doesn't rain and you can park securely. There will be folk on here who do or have used them as a day to day motor but can't say I would as much as I enjoy the driving etc.

Bob

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I realise it's somewhat unusual.

Security throughout the day shouldn't be an issue as I work at a police station. You'd HOPE you were reasonably safe there.

What reason apart from cold / noise / smell would you say makes them unusable for everyday use? Obviously the weather gear would be on for vast months of the year, and I would fit a heater to help with the frozen inside window during winter.

Thanks

No. Sorry, but no, I think you've had it. And I'm someone who keeps the car outside all year and has a reputation for using it during the depths of winter too.

Of course, I'm assuming a commute to work everyday that can't be made any other way!

The heart says it should be possible, but realistically I think you've stacked to many conditions up against yourself.

However, thinking through the points...

The weather gear isn't really weatherproof to any high degree, it's also reknound for making the car a noisy uncomfortable place to be, liable to constant steaming up. Using everyday in wet weather with no where to dry the car off would I'd have said mean you'll have to go for the hose down interior route ;) no carpets, no vinyl, grp seats etc. drill some drainage holes in the floor, at which point you may as well go aeroscreen; a helmet and waterproofs actually make as much sense as anything for keeping you dry.

Instruments and switchgear are going to take a real hammering, again, though you can cover the car over night, with no where for it to really dry out day after day, moisture is going to be getting everywhere. You can change the switchgear etc for IP rated items though.

Then it's back to that moisture again. It is going to be getting everywhere. This is going to encourage corrosion between the steel and aluminium joints eventually, so the car is going to get tired really quickly. Again it's solvable to a degree, paint, or powder coat the aluminium panels, or swap for carbon fibre where ever possible.

For everyday reliability, ideally you'd probably be best looking at a "modern" style engine, in as standard a state as possible. Zetec etc.

So spend a bit rebuilding a car, or build one to suit and it could probably be done.

I've a sneaking suspicion you'd also get to hate the car pretty quickly though!

There have been some real bargains recently, but at that budget, you're not, how can I be polite, at the most reliable, trouble free end of the scale. Of course there will always be exceptions. But expect something that probably going to need more regular tinkering, even if used as just a toy!

If the all weather Gadget man doesn't vote for it, I would certainly not go for one as an all year car. That was direct from the man for all seasons, if anyone should know he's it. Suprisingly though I must say but common sense in reality.

Bob :)

No. Sorry, but no, I think you've had it. And I'm someone who keeps the car outside all year and has a reputation for using it during the depths of winter too.

Of course, I'm assuming a commute to work everyday that can't be made any other way!

The heart says it should be possible, but realistically I think you've stacked to many conditions up against yourself.

However, thinking through the points...

The weather gear isn't really weatherproof to any high degree, it's also reknound for making the car a noisy uncomfortable place to be, liable to constant steaming up. Using everyday in wet weather with no where to dry the car off would I'd have said mean you'll have to go for the hose down interior route ;) no carpets, no vinyl, grp seats etc. drill some drainage holes in the floor, at which point you may as well go aeroscreen; a helmet and waterproofs actually make as much sense as anything for keeping you dry.

Instruments and switchgear are going to take a real hammering, again, though you can cover the car over night, with no where for it to really dry out day after day, moisture is going to be getting everywhere. You can change the switchgear etc for IP rated items though.

Then it's back to that moisture again. It is going to be getting everywhere. This is going to encourage corrosion between the steel and aluminium joints eventually, so the car is going to get tired really quickly. Again it's solvable to a degree, paint, or powder coat the aluminium panels, or swap for carbon fibre where ever possible.

For everyday reliability, ideally you'd probably be best looking at a "modern" style engine, in as standard a state as possible. Zetec etc.

So spend a bit rebuilding a car, or build one to suit and it could probably be done.

I've a sneaking suspicion you'd also get to hate the car pretty quickly though!

Thanks for your reply Gadgetman.

Yes corrosion and damp are definitely my main concerns over this idea. I'm less worried about my own comfort though. I would be commuting in it, but shopping and long distance travel we can do in my girlfriends car.

Hmm. You have definitely given me something to think about.

Thanks

When I was slightly younger...

my best mate had a silva strikers with crossflow.

It was his only car!

We went everywhere in it....

Weekend camping trips to the Lakes,

Commuting,

Nights out to the pub etc.

It was reliable

But you need to be hardy!

You will get wet,

BUT it can be done and it is fun.

I know Bob, I know, must be getting old. :d

As I said in the previous post though, just storing outside beneath a three/four layer cover, no problem, even if forced to put away damp, they're breathable so in a few days, or in bad weather, a week or so, they dry.

Using everyday, rain or shine, but able to leather off and leave in the garage over night, preferably a warm attached garage, or with a dehumidifier, no problem.

Use everyday and store outdoor, no problem, rebuild or build with this in mind, (it'll still need more frequent rebuilds/attention) but you could build it with much more protection and IP rated parts. Not cheap though.

But no garage, no budget and eveyday use....

I probably should know better at my age. I'm hardy enough for sure :) but as you say the constant damp is no good for such a stripped down car.

I have had a few years loving biking, but in all honesty the weather rules out motorbikes as an only means of transport. A Kit car is a wonderful thing. All of the fun, and far fewer broken bones!

I will keep looking, and thinking hard about this. Many thanks for all of your helpful advice guys. Much appreciated!

When I was slightly younger...

my best mate had a silva strikers with crossflow.

It was his only car!

We went everywhere in it....

Weekend camping trips to the Lakes,

Commuting,

Nights out to the pub etc.

It was reliable

But you need to be hardy!

You will get wet,

BUT it can be done and it is fun.

I know, it sure can, particularly when you're young :laugh:;)

But, I'm, perhaps wrongly, :blush: reading between the lines with the Typre R connection and bike history, and assuming that something a bit lively Westfield wise, is what the OP is hoping for.

I've used a bike all year round too and would say that a Westfield is at least as capable, my car did originally have the usual issues with water proofing and I found the main problem being water blown up the inside between doors and body work, cured with a couple of mud flaps on front and some foam strips stuck to the inside of the door bottoms.

You need to remember that one persons idea of uncomfortable may not be yours, you couldn't manage without a heater as steaming up is defo an issue and you'll still need warm clothing and gloves, I tend to use the old bike gloves.

Guess you won't know til you try but its still a great experience.

Hi Gadgetman.

I certainly wouldn't be looking at a bike engined car. A 1.8 - 2.0 pinto with 135-150 bhp would be just fine for me. Power to weight wise, this is still significantly nippier than my current Honda and for someone new to RWD motoring, probably safer too!

A 1.3 105bhp Lotus 7 derivative would be quicker than my Honda.

At 32 with kids quite soon, I'm know that my near destiny is with a 124 seater practical family coach/van/MPV. I must fight this!