Go Pro Hero2 Hd- Possible Bulk Buy

timblejim

Kept an eye on ebay for the gopro2s and the price has been going down properly, loads of competition. Hopefully get mine next month and dont expect to pay more than 180 for the motorsports pack...

Mine was £180 + £9 postage and payment went via paypal direct to Pace USA. I thought it was too good to be true but I have it in my mit, and the Hero2 :d . Might be a catch somewhere but hey ho thats the way it goes. Theres as few people advertising them on the 'bay at £180-£200 which is a big saving over the norm.

Bob :)

You might be right but will try the minimum spec class 4

Terry

Class 4 will be fine :)

Have been looking at the Contour HD GPS.

Class 4 will be fine :)

Have been looking at the Contour HD GPS.

Not so I'm afraid. There have been recorded issues with some cards less than Class 6, even from "big name" memory suppliers. (there have also been issues with some Class 10 32 GB memory cards, again even from big name suppliers).

Class 10 is only really needed though if you're intending to make use of the rapid time lapse functionality, NOT for regular filming.

Fingers crossed Terry's card will be absolutely trouble free. However if someone asked for a recommendation, then the best, current, guarantee of trouble free operation (and this is specific to GoPro HD cameras), then a Class 6 16 GB card is the one to go for, and get a few to get the extra capacity, rather than buying the "biggest" 32 GB.

The GoPro is such an adaptable firmware based device, this may well change as the firmware is updated, but currently has been found to work best by many amateur and pro users.

Update.

The camera is advertised as being suipplied by UK supplier from Birmingham but get emails from Robs Cameras in USA?

Have sent email and asked where the camera is being shipped from. Will let you know.

Terry

Update.

The camera is advertised as being suipplied by UK supplier from Birmingham but get emails from Robs Cameras in USA?

Have sent email and asked where the camera is being shipped from. Will let you know.

Terry

Delivered from Birminghan UK as quoted on Ebay.

Fast delivery, orded late Sunday night and was delivered today Tuesday am. Is full Hero 2 motorsports for £188 :d

All i have to do now is find out how to work it.

Works with my 4gb class 4 SDHC as well, will have to wait for 32gb card tommorrow

Terry

Reasonably straightforward Terry; worthwhile keeping the shutter speed nice and high though, shooting in 720/60 frames per second will give nice stable film even on a vibrating Westfield, most of the time.

How come no 1080 30 fps?

Can you say what all the settings/effects have when using in Westy?

Your knowledge on best settings would be much appreciated

Terry

It's the way the "shutter" works in this type of video camera; they're highly sensitive to the vibration of a car or bike. (lightweight Westfield's with stiffer suspension, harder mounted engines and generally poor levels of NVH are probably closer to a motorbike than an ordinary car). If the frame rate is too low, and the degree of vibration too high you'll get an image that almost seems to be rippling top to bottom, our American cousins call it the Jello effect, cause its like looking at the world through Jelly, the technical term for it is rolling shutter.

The best way to solve it would be to prevent the vibration in the first place. As that's often not practical, the next best solution is to use as high a frame rate as possible.

Other tips would be to use a mains adaptor to USB style charger, not the PC, and to get an SD card reader fro copying the films off the card and on to the PC, it's generally more reliable than trying to connect the camera directly to the PC for downloading and charging.

Seen the jello effect, check out this vid at 24 seconds

Assume it caused the jello when car stopped and ticking over causing vibrations, but i could be wrong.

Thanks for the heads up.

Terry

I get it occasionally when the car is stationary ( see video between 1-2 seconds in) but once the revs rise and the car is moving it goes away and all is fine.

Ciggy charger coming tomorrow so will be OK in the Westy and laptop has card reader in it so should be OK. Could use the USB supplied cable and charge it from the laptop if desparate but will wait and see what happens whan i use it. Thanks for the info.

Car still down at Blinks, Westfield spares have been a pain to get the bits from in the last few weeks. Hoping for delivery tomorrow but then Blinks have to go racing this weekend and won't have time to finish the car this week, then i'm on holiday for 2 weeks. Pick up car then and put the camera on it, could always try it in the 4x4 towing caravan down to Devon on Saturday?

Terry

Yep that's it, it can strike any place any where! There's no absolutes! I've had it both on the go and at idle, sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn't. So I followed the advice of some of the pros that use the cameras a lot and went to high frame rates and whilst can still trigger it in certain extreme situations, generally there's no sign now.

It's worth being aware that it's exaggerated slightly by the GoPro mounting system, annoyingly, as that's also one of the great draws of the camera, making it so easy to swap locations.

A heavier clamp type system that "sandwiched" the camera body between two flat thick aluminium plates, clamping it tightly, though obviously not so much as to distort the casework, that in turn mounted more solidly to the car would be a great help.

You'll also find that some spots on the car are more prone to vibration than others. s*ds law says they'll be the spots you get the best shots from :laugh:

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.