Ipad Recommendation

Terry Everall

i just use my iphone and tether to ipad when out and about... do it via bluetooth, wi fi, or connected with synch cable.

I persinally see now point in an ipad with contract, assuming you have a phone with data contract

<p style="margin-left: 40px">I got a T Mobile 3G 'WiFi pointer' on a PAYG deal which is basically the same idea. I think it's good VFM for very occasional use when away from more normal WiFi access.  Just signed up with BT for home BB so now have access to all the FON and Openzone WAPs as well, so that's a good deal. Other ISPs are getting in on that sort of thing now as well - noticed Sky are touting it.</p>

<p style="margin-left: 40px"> </p>

<p style="margin-left: 40px"> </p>

For me as I am out and about it has to be Ipad with a Sim. I buy an unlimited data card sim for less than 15 quid a month. Trouble is the data cards use mini sim and ipads need micro sim. Sissors cut down to size - simples. If you buy IPAD tarrifs then it is a rip off for what fundementally is data.

By having this my ipad is always on, syncs through icloud wirelessly and just works. If you dont need to use it out of the house then Wifi only. If you are using icloud free already on your iphones, you can register and set up Ipad 3 and sync all your stuff without itunes and cable.

Now if you can get my iPad to do different fonts, emoticons, and post replies in reports here in the boardrooms, I will be a happy man!

I've got the ipad3 64gb, my daughter has the ipad2 and the screen on the ipad3 is so much better, I wouldnt get one with a sim I use my iPhone and tether it, some networks like orange charge for this service but I am on Vodafone and it is included within my data allowance.

Apple shop is as good as anywhere as nobody gives discounts, if you get it from John Lewis you get a 2year warranty foc

Regards

Rich

There is a way to get free data on T-Mobile for a year for just £10 to purchase the card. I have been running A SIM with no issues at all.

Does it have to be an iPad or do you just want a tablet device?

If it's the latter, you can get some extremely good deals and be able to access the web as it's intended with the use of flash (all Apple products don't support flash).

Android tablets also have USB peripheral connectivity (Mrs plugs her DSLR into hers for a nice view screen) and most have SD card slots too.

• 6 months later...

Thread Resurection!

Do I understand this right- if I buy an ipad for her indoors for crimbo it's not like a laptop which will find a wifi signal automatically and work pretty much straight out of the box, it'll need hooked up to the laptop first which will also need all the apple software loaded onto it?

Or should I just buy a cheaper tablet? :devil:

(Stands back to observe snack food sales)

Thanks,

Doug

Some guys in my office have some really good Android ones from China for less than £100 and rate them highly. I'll post up Tue link tomorrow for you

Or should i say today :p

It IS like a laptop - it will find wifi out of the box. Apple have changed it so that you don't HAVE to have iTunes installed on your PC, though it helps if you are into transferring movies and music etc a lot. I connect my iPad to my PC about 3 or 4 times a year - just to do backups - which you can do to the cloud now anyhow. I set up a new iPad for my Mum the other day and we never went near a PC.

Another one here with an iPad (3) and wifi only. I use my Android phone to tether and give the iPad internet when there is no Wifi (rare).

The screen on the iPad 3 & 4 is like looking at printed paper - but - if you have an iPad 2 you'd never know - it's still mighty impressive and more than enough for most mortals.

I've just got the iPad mini. My first venture into Apple but it's really good once you've got used to the fact that it's not a laptop and you have to get all the Apps to make it do what you want it to do. I think the battery life is amazing too. I just got the WiFi version and use my mobile as a WiFi hotspot.

iOS 6 has issues with some wireless connections..... Another great Apple update.

As you may guess, I'm not in the 'i' camp. Android all the way here. Nexus 7 for xmas for me. Helen uses an iPad, works fine, but I can't stand the tight control Apple puts on everything.