You Cannot Reply To This Topic

stickymint

I've said it before but if I'm handing over money trusting someone to deliver without the backup of ebay or paypal then I'd rather it was to someone who at least is a registered member.

Also adds some confidence if exchanging personal details for payment.

Although it's hardly foolproof, I'll happily accept a limited market in exchange for that increased assurance.

You can but not everyone has a paypal account and even if they do, paypal take their tuppence from either the buyer or the seller which isn't necessary if you can trust the other party.

I really don't think that the excuse of people setting up bogus e-mail addresses and names to sell dodgy gear holds much weight.

Personnally speaking, I would much rather buy knowing that the seller has had to pay an anual subscription to use the website and register their name and address. At least that way there is an element of security to the site, and the reassurance for myself that the seller is still going to be around for a while rather than do a runner with my money.

We all speak to each other on these boards as though we are friends, but how many of us have actually ever met each other? Would you feel confident sending several £100's of pounds to a complete stranger who you may never have met or personally spoken to?

The membership system at least provides an element of security for members when buying and selling, and so far has done a very good job of keeping rogues and scammers away from our adverts and the forum pages clear.

Lordbenny I have no doubt that your reasons are genuine and you are not a scammer, and I commend you for wanting to offer your parts to the WSCC members first. I am however puzzled as to why you sniff at the membership fee but are wanting to sell on these pages where you may not attract the greatest number of buyers or get the best price for your parts?

• Like 2

Er, yes! buyer beware and all that but this is the 21st Century, people dont put ads in the paper. All I want to do is offer my parts to members first. I really don't think that the excuse of people setting up bogus e-mail addresses and names to sell dodgy gear holds much weight.

I'm afraid it's a big bad world out there, and not everyone is as honest as we are in here. One of the club's responsibilities is to protect their members, rather than just taking their money and leaving the front door wide open to all and sundry to exploit them. If you don't believe non-members with bogus details and few scruples ever take advantage of members, I would invite you start a thread asking if any member has ever been shafted when buying a Westie or used part from a non-member - but have plenty of snack food ready at hand.

And you didn't mention my point about the ads being free, when you are charged on eBay with no guarantee of selling it at the price you want to realise and with much more fuss involved.

I believe the phrase "you can't have your cake and eat it too" might be appropriate.

And you didn't mention my point about the ads being free, when you are charged on eBay with no guarantee of selling it at the price you want to realse and with much more fuss involved.

...and that's not to mention up to 10% final value fee if it does sell, plus your paypal fee.

Lordbenny I have no doubt that your reasons are genuine and you are not a scammer, and I commend you for wanting to offer your parts to the WSCC members first. I am however puzzled as to why you sniff at the membership fee but are wanting to sell on these pages where you may not attract the greatest number of buyers or get the best price for your parts?

I dont want to be a member of the WSCC at the moment, I have my reasons.

I do however feel that it would make a pretty good place to sell some Westfield parts. I'd like to think that the parts I have to offer are very genuine and I'd honestly like them to go to a good home and fellow owner.

I do however feel that it would make a pretty good place to sell some Westfield parts. I'd like to think that the parts I have to offer are very genuine and I'd honestly like them to go to a good home and fellow owner.

Whilst I'm sure that no-one is doubting your personal integrity, the club has to agree rules that apply to everyone including those who might seek to exploit members.

Personally I accept that this means limiting the amount of things for sale on here.

This is without considering the other argument about funding the website etc etc which has been done to death previously.

Great! well the Club has their reasons for limiting access to the For Sale etc parts of the Forum, accept that and please desist your current communication on the matter because I'm intolerant of other people's opinions (imho) :bangshead:

There reaches a point on a line where those who do not want to join because there is a cost involved meets the point on the same line where people see no value in paying to join because all that they want is provided for free. It is a fine line, and one the club has successfully walked since its inception.

Lordbenny, whatever reasons you might have for not joining (none of which I can personally recall you sharing, and if you have and I have failed to see them, then I'd like to know them), that's entirely up to you. No one is going to or can force anyone to join, and we welcome our many forum users and their helpful contributions to the club and its members (as per yours about the logos, for which I again thank you). But I have to say that your opinion that boardroom ads should be free to all is one that seems not to be shared by the vast majority of the literally thousands of other forum users who understand and agree with the club's position.

If I might quote another fictitious lord, Lord Darlington from Act III of Oscars Wilde's 1892 play Lady Windermere's Fan, when he is asked "What is a cynic?", his response is "A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." I am not saying this applies to you, merely that I believe them to be wise words indeed.

(On separate notes Lordbenny, you said "I dont want to be a member of the WSCC at the moment, I have my reasons", but records indicate that you attempted to pay to join the club twice in January - did you have technical problems? - and I'm with Smokey here, I think you're genuine and not a scammer, but while you say "I really don't think that the excuse of people setting up bogus e-mail addresses and names to sell dodgy gear holds much weight.", you personally have things to sell but haven't put any of your own personal details into your profile that is viewable only by the administrators, just put in a forum user boardroom name and an email address. Not saying you or your goods are "dodgy" at all as you put it, but I'm sure if you look at it from the viewpoint of others, the lack of info might raise an eyebrow.)

Maybe you guys could bring your stuff for sale to the Auto Jumble at the Stoneleigh show?

Maybe you guys could bring your stuff for sale to the Auto Jumble at the Stoneleigh show?

Isn't putting stuff up for sale at the Auto Jumble a Members Only thing? Someone refresh my memory from last year...

EDIT: Found it from last year's show thread...

"Member auto jumble.

Got a bit to sell, drop it off, tag it with your name, mobile details price and wait till you get a call from a buyer. We supply the tags, but we’ll not handle cash and the vendor is responsible to collect the bits if unsold at the end of the day.

Again this service is only available to members on production of your membership card.

Terms and conditions will apply which will be on display in the marquee area."

Trust. A fickle thing indeed. The last Bulk Buy I organised saw me being sent $98,000 by L7C members and many other members of clubs who wouldn't have heard of me at all.

However, I paid over all their money, and got the goods distributed without any major hitches.

As I say, trust is a fickle thing.

Mind you I understand that the posters on other clubs forums vouched for my honesty.

There reaches a point on a line where those who do not want to join because there is a cost involved meets the point on the same line where people see no value in paying to join because all that they want is provided for free. It is a fine line.....

I'm afraid it's a big bad world out there, and not everyone is as honest as we are in here. One of the club's responsibilities is to protect their members

:t-up: