Entertaining F1

Rusty Nuts

Felt sorry for Schumacher. And hats off to him, he didn't annihilate the mechanic who bodged the wheel change.

great race , I have to grudgingly give Schumaker a nod , I don't like the guy ,but he was a big part of turning Ferrari around and is showing signs of the same talent with Mercedes,

does anyone know what happened to the rules on 'safe' pit release , is it now anything goes? cos I thought Raikonen would be in for a drive through at least ???

This is shaping up to be one of the best seasons for a long time with Mercedes and Sauber finding some pace. Vettel not getting everything handed to him on a plate, Benson and Hamilton are looking strong. Good to see Nick O'Rosberg pulling a win out of the hat. Gutted for Benson's pit stop scuppering his challenge for 1st but it could have been worse, they could have Mercedes' year in industry kid: blind, one armed, lucky McGee on the wheel gun

does anyone know what happened to the rules on 'safe' pit release , is it now anything goes? cos I thought Raikonen would be in for a drive through at least ???

Wondered exactly the same myself.

• Like 1

it could have been worse, they could have Mercedes' year in industry kid: blind, one armed, lucky McGee on the wheel gun

I don't think it had anything to do with the wheel gun crew member... the car was released before he'd managed to tighten the nut, things happen when trying to change wheels in 3 seconds and the green light shouldn't have come on when the wheel wasn't secure... those guns are quite heavy too :cool:

I've watched that clip (of the rh rear wheel gunner) several times and don't quite follow what happened. It looks like he didn't even put the gun on the nut. But if so, why didn't the wheel come off completely? Even when the car came to rest the rear wheels look perfectly aligned and equal distance from the body.

Anybody else notice how MotoGP has become entirely processional and predictable while F1 has become Formula Ford with 750bhp!!!

Not sure I'd call it FF after one decent race (and in reality only the last 10-12 laps were really exciting as the tyres went off...)

Moto3 and particularly Moto2 last weekend were amazing and the MotoGP race had it's moments ;)

I've watched that clip (of the rh rear wheel gunner) several times and don't quite follow what happened. It looks like he didn't even put the gun on the nut. But if so, why didn't the wheel come off completely? Even when the car came to rest the rear wheels look perfectly aligned and equal distance from the body.

On Schumacher's car it was the front right wheel not secured... there seemed to be some hesitation swopping the wheels on that corner but it's hard to see exactly what as the front jack man is slightly in the way

No comments on the "worlds greatest driver ever" being humbled yet again by his sibling .

While he was smiling for the cameras I bet skumy was seething underneath

Now how long before he plays the "I'm the team leader" card ???

Sorry, I thought it was the rear. But why didn't the front wheel detach itself if the nut was left off, rather than loose?

Yes, I thought it was right rear as well, it certainly looked like it was the mechanic on that corner who pounded his hand on the ground in frustration.

Just looked on You Tube - not there - yet.

oh, and the nut wasn't 'left off', these days they're part of the wheel so only require tightening... I guess maybe as the wheel is fitted it acquires a certain amount of grip to the hub and just needs the gun to get it torqued up, it's been a few years since I had the chance to fit one myself and the technology has moved on...

Schumacher's race was ruined when he was released from his first pit stop without a properly tightened right-front tyre nut.

From Gary Anderson's analysis on the BBC website :p

Right front it was - guess the right rear mechanic was just reacting to the moment.

It was indeed the Front Right on the Schuey car that was not correctly fitted. It did have its wheel nut on, as they use an old DTM technique, where the nut goes on with the new wheel as one (most others place the nut in the gun ready to put on). As to why it did not fall off straight away is a strange one, but thankfully it did not I have seen those wheels go flying many many times and it has often ended in injury, so fair play to him for stopping striaght away