Fuel Nobbers

SteveD

goodness me!

Petrol strike threat: PM advises topping up

_59344384_jex_1363423_de36-1.jpg

David Cameron: "No need to queue up for fuel"Continue reading the main story

Related Stories

The government has urged people to take "sensible precautions" in case a strike by fuel tanker drivers goes ahead.

PM David Cameron said there was no need to queue but motorists should top up their tanks, and Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude advised storing petrol in a jerrycan in their garage.

Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude advised storing petrol in a jerrycan in their garage.

Tomorrow's headlines

Significant rise in thefts from garden sheds / garages due to people storing jerry cans full of fuel..... :laugh:

How about:

"No Shortage Of Panic At Petrol Pumps - No Need To Stock Up On Panic"

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the centre of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and today we all know the fuel tanker drivers aren't on strike yet, but thanks to the PM, people are still panicking . Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

How about:

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the centre of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and today we all know the fuel tanker drivers aren't on strike yet, but thanks to the PM, people are still panicking . Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

Errr, "All politicians are tw*ts?" maybe... :d :d :d

Personally I would rather they ran out now and have a week to replenish - which may mean the filling stations will have fuel over the holiday period and all the 'morons' will only have to top up. So there could be some sense in getting the panic over now.

I filled up last night - but then I use a tank every week.

Last time it happened I managed to get 49mpg out of my 1.8t A3 which I thought was pretty good - but dull as fook.

Mike

How about:

MiB...mostly.

Indeed...thus the quotations. Well spotted.

Once people have filled up there cars and jerry cans etc safely and they have no where else to store it demand should go back to normal, apart from topping up more often than normal. So after a short panic period everyone should be back to normal, running around with full or near full tanks. There may even be a quiet patch soon. The mere threat of the tanker drivers strike has prompted people to stock up. This only allows the retailer to put up there prices as has been shown in a previous post. In the end the oil producers make shed loads of money, the retailers make a windfall and us "poor old refiners" make a pittance. Speaking from our current experience private refiners are probably not even making a profit at the moment whereas the oil giants charge $100 plus per barrel and it costs $5 to get it out of the ground hence the mega profits they make. I seem to recall that in the 1970's oil crisis when fuel was about to be rationed there was a limit on how much you could store legally in your garage, that probably still applies now. People will still hoard it and put themselves at risk, nothing you can do about that. Its a sign of the times that Mr Cameron and co are advocating filling up Jerry cans.

What is annoying is that going to the petrol station with a couple of jerry cans for the Westfield will get you dogs abuse I'm sure.

I may even have to stay at home if I can't get fuel, instead of helping to make the stuff, ironic I guess.

Bob :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

As predicted, the lemmings have run some places dry even though they have still no date for a strike. If it does go ahead all these sheds full of petrol will be a target for the kind of people who like big fat weddings, horses and dags. Thye never seemed to run outlast time funnily enough.

No fuel at my usual filling station yesterday evening, but this morning they had a delivery, so filled up with best diesel, although the queue was quit long.

No, I wasn't hording, I had less than 1/6th. of a tank, so needed to fill up!

I think the idea of the government is that by encouraging everybody to keep their tanks quite full, the power of the tanker drivers to cause chaos is limited. They'd have to have a prolonged strike, with consequent substantial loss of wages, to cause a serious problem for the average motorist. Quite a clever tactic, maybe!

Perhaps I'de better get a jerry can full for the Westfield before Gurston Down, afterall it's only just over 3 weeks away.

I have a 300 mile round trip planned for the weekend, if i have to cancel this because i cant find anywhere to buy some fuel for my activities, im going to beat someone repeatedly with my wheel bar until i get some! f***** sheep :angry: cap'n do you have a scientific explanation for why "people" are so unbelievably dumb? :down:

Down at Knockhill on Monday so ned to fill up the car, the westfield and jerry can.

Can't take my jerry can and do it like I normally would for fear of looking like a tw*t so just going to do it Monday when I have the car on the trailer - saves me looking lie a kn*b at least.

although I am a little worried that there might not be fuel left!

I think the idea of the government is that by encouraging everybody to keep their tanks quite full, the power of the tanker drivers to cause chaos is limited. They'd have to have a prolonged strike, with consequent substantial loss of wages, to cause a serious problem for the average motorist. Quite a clever tactic, maybe!

I doubt garages keep the same level of stock below ground as they used to - less cash tied up in times of such economic hardship for the likes of BP and Shell [/sarcastic font]. Doubt it would take many days of strike to empty the station tanks.

It seems like it's getting political, conservatives aren't funded by the unions so as soon as they strike they can sit back, point the finger at the unions with a 'Look at what damage the unions are doing to your every day lives"

Here's a different angle of attack....

Unite, which is representing the tanker drivers is also the Labour Party's largest sponsor, so there are good relationships between the Labour Party MP's and Unite. Why, instead of barking like dogs at the government in Westminster and getting nowhere other than further lowering our opinions of the average politician do they not work with Unite to avoid the strike. Agree that whilst there may be grievances it's in the best interests of the country, whom the MP's represent, to get the economy moving again, not to hinder it. What a prize it would be if the labour opposition could prevent the strike while the government stood back (I'm not a labour supporter, just offering an opinion). However, if the labour party MP's do not get involved, or even worse, sit back and support the strike, then a fair chunk of the MP's we have elected to run the country are guilty of sitting on their hands for the sake of party politics when they could genuinely be helping the country through the greater financial challenges we face.

Sits back with beer and popcorn...