Windscreen Fitting On Fw Body

Doug Dastardly

:angry::cry::down::(:bangshead: Think my weekend might be spoilt.

Is this the right hinge:

DSCF3345.jpg

I have two of these, so only two bits with pins. The pins fit in the top hole of the upright but don't seem to fit in the bottom holes.

According to the manual all four hinges should have pins so am I missing bits or have things changed?

Oh well the GF will be happy if I'm not in the garage :)

Doug

Doug, those look like the hinges for fitting the ECU mounting plate under the scuttle. That would be one matched pair that you show in your photo, so you should have another pair the same. The sidescreen hinges look very similar and should come in a pack with the doors along with the vinyl straps for the rear of the doors. Incidentally I had to file out the holes in my screen pillars as they were filled with powder coating.

Thanks Dean,

That might make sense because when I fitted my ECU I used the piano hinge for the bonnet fitting and had to get another one!

Unfortunatly I think that means I don't have any hinges :down: I have my doors and the straps but these are the only hinges I have.

Doug

Hi Doug - Measurements for the windscreen to rollbar, from inside top edge of windscreen frame to front face of the RAC bar:

Centre 980mm

Drivers seat 977mm

Pass. seat 985mm

Sorry for the delay (I forgot last night - must be old age!).

Cheers,

Matt

Yup, confirmed by factory that I was meant to use these for ECU :bangshead:

Will get some more in the post.

Got my windscreen positioned nicely and I'm confident it's in the right place. Especially as it's out by 10mm on one side like Matt's :laugh: Thanks Matt

Just want to double check position with the doors before drilling.

I will get there eventually,

Doug

Got my hinges from WF today :t-up:

I'm finding it tricky to find the holes in the screens, the vinyl's quite tough. I think I've got them but don't quite have the confidence to drill through.

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks,

Doug

Use a pin to find the holes, you should find the vinyl will deform slightly into the hole when you prod the right spot, and then if you press hard enough the pin should then go through.

Thanks Mark,

Sounds so obvious now :durr::zzz:

Doug

Okay, an update for anyone interested.

Got my hinges attached to my doors and fitted them to the uprights. The doors were miles out so I had to push the top of the screen forward.

But have I pushed it forward enough? My measurements are now 5mm more than Matt's, but the factory say just to use the doors to set the rake.

So this is how it's sitting:

DSCF3350.jpg

DSCF3349.jpg

DSCF3348-1.jpg

So are these sitting right? Or should I push the screen further forward to lift the sidescreens further? This would move the point I've marked on the photo in green up and into the car and the bit I've marked in red would sit nicely against the side. Or are they fine as they are? Although the area marked red sits away from the body the strap would pull it in.

The photo's are not great so I know this is not easy but I'd be grateful for any help as I can't just nip along to a meeting to see other doors.

My car needs a clean again! It's covered but it seems to be a magnet for dust :cry:

Thanks Guys,

Doug :t-up:

Doug,

Could I ask why are you fitting a heated screen and also heater ducts. Surely you need one or the other and you could save a fair amount of cash and installation time & effort that way. The heated screen wires do enter the scuttle about the same place as where the heater ducts would go, they can be routed under the screen though but I honestly can't see the need for both. For IVA you must have a means to demist your screen the rest is up to you. I opted to have a heated screen but no ducts from my heater to the screen as it makes the inside of the scuttle a bit busy. My heater is used firsly as an additional engine cooler & increase to coolant volume with secondly some heat to the cockpit should it be needed. Basic installation only but keeps my left side warm when needed. As it happens I think I have sorted my engine cooling so that I probably won't need the heater output unless I am on a trackday and probably marginal at that.

Bob ;)

Hi Bob,

It was not intentional! It was just what the factory supplied and when I asked them about not connecting the ducts they said that in factory built cars they still used them as the heated screen was not actually too good at demisting. You would expect that when you order a heater they would supply non heated screen! ???

If I lived closer I would have swapped my screen for a non-heated one but I couldn't be bothered packing it up and sending it as I had burnt the wooden crate it was delivered in. I've cut out the vents and bonded in the ducts so I'm going to fit the heater to them now.

I wanted a heater purely for heat as it's really not that warm up here! :xmas:

Doug

Okay, an update for anyone interested.

Got my hinges attached to my doors and fitted them to the uprights. The doors were miles out so I had to push the top of the screen forward.

But have I pushed it forward enough? My measurements are now 5mm more than Matt's, but the factory say just to use the doors to set the rake.

So this is how it's sitting:

DSCF3350.jpg

DSCF3349.jpg

DSCF3348-1.jpg

So are these sitting right? Or should I push the screen further forward to lift the sidescreens further? This would move the point I've marked on the photo in green up and into the car and the bit I've marked in red would sit nicely against the side. Or are they fine as they are? Although the area marked red sits away from the body the strap would pull it in.

The photo's are not great so I know this is not easy but I'd be grateful for any help as I can't just nip along to a meeting to see other doors.

My car needs a clean again! It's covered but it seems to be a magnet for dust :cry:

Thanks Guys,

Doug :t-up:

Hi Doug - They look about right compared to my car but obviously my car has the 'standard' body. I think the doors should sit so the tops of the doors are pretty much horizontal and parallel to the ground. If you do ever intend to use a hood/half-hood, this is probably quite important, although there's a fair bit of tolerance.

Maybe some of the guys with the same bodywork as yours can advise if this is right?

Cheers, Matt

ps - just getting ready for a run in mine..... :d

The only thing I've found in practice, is that the lower rear corner needs to sit nicely on the wheel arch; if it's too high up, at speed the air pressure inwards on the door will force the trailing edge of the door over the arch and into the cockpit, that then lets the front corner of the door pivot outwards away from the bodywork, catching more air. (Having said that, if you mount the door retaining straps nearer then middle of the door it might not be so bad).

Thanks Guys.

It's fitted :t-up:

After much trial moving the screen forward and back I decided to go for it. In the end Matt's measurments were within mm of mine which gave me the confidence to drill.

I've also got the wiper boxes fitted :yes: now I have to take it all apart again to fit wiper motor and heater :down:

On the plus side next time the scuttle goes on it's going on for good (I hope :laugh: )

I'll need to finish fitting my bonnet locks when it's off. I gave up on them before as they just weren't sitting right.

Also need to bend my tube for wiper cable. Any hints on how to bend it without kinking it?

Thanks for the help so far,

Doug

Also need to bend my tube for wiper cable. Any hints on how to bend it without kinking it?

Bend it gently around anything you can find that has a suitably large radius so it doesn't kink. I found my knee was about the right size for mine :d

• 6 months later...

Hi Doug

What did you end up doing with the heater wires?

I have just encountered the problem you raised about drilling holes for them in the groove in the scuttle - as that would mean they are inside the ducting for the heating!!

Did you just bring them forward of the windscreen and drill down so that it would miss the ducting? I was thinking off doing this as obviously the wires would be hidden by the fibre glass fillet that fits over the windscreen wipers.

Any other advice or measurements would be really appreciated. It's the last big job and hoping not to muck it up!!!

Cheers

Andy