• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Elvington

blot

Blot - I got just a little over excited on the pace laps.  I started off slow (30mph ish) then built up a little 'cos I thought we'd be there all day at that rate, by lap 3 I was making steady progress.  I expected that everyone would increase speed with me but unfortunately when I got to the main straight you were all on the other side of the runway  :0  Though you guys may have kept your distance as the barge can produce a fairly serious black cloud from the back of the car though when you plant it :devil:

Jeff - There is a NAAFI on the museum site that they let us use.  Decent warm grub aplenty  :t-up:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• juansolo

• awinskill

• blot

• jeff oakley

Blot/John/Everyone

I was at Elvington on Saturday. I hired the c******m for the day. I now understand what all the fuss is about. I've got to get me one of these cars.....  :love:  :D

I spent the day just trying to see how fast I could get round. Chasing the Exige is a great memory... :D

Wondering why the Elises were lifting for the chicanes made me laugh :D:d

Now I'm just waiting to understand all the engine/body combos. The one thing I know is that it's going to have to be a wide body... ;)

Andy - Don't be so sure.  I am a big guy (5'11" and 16st) and I fit in my narrow bodied car fine.  If anything, my biggest problem is that I could do with about an extra inch in length in the cockpit.  It was hard work with the normal seats in, but with the Tillets it's fine TBH.  I'll take you out for a spin in it in Feb if you're there.

As for all the options.  You should have a fairly comprehensive BaT-Mail awaiting you.

Andy - Don't be so sure.  I am a big guy (5'11" and 16st) and I fit in my narrow bodied car fine.  If anything, my biggest problem is that I could do with about an extra inch in length in the cockpit.  It was hard work with the normal seats in, but with the Tillets it's fine TBH.  I'll take you out for a spin in it in Feb if you're there.

As for all the options.  You should have a fairly comprehensive BaT-Mail awaiting you.

John,

Thanks for the excellent info on the various configs out there. My main problem is that while both my wife and I managed to squeeze into the c******m I couldn't imagine spending much time in there. Certainly it would mean that we would have to have a trailer to get it to the track. To get the increase in the buget I'm now looking at I'll need to be able to "sell" it as a weekend tourer/sprint/track car.

Cheers,

Andy

Track days and sprinting no problem.  Get yerself a trailer in case the worst happens and it goes pop or you stuff it, etc.  That way you can still get home (speaking from experience after spending a track day trawling around scrap yards).  Also it makes carrying extra wheels, fuel, jack and tools around a lot easier.

As for a weekend tourer.  Mine is just too brutal for that.  Though the Tillets are comfy and incredibly grippy, they have no padding on them whatsoever.  Couple that to the hard suspension and the ride can get tiring very quickly.  Also if you go for straight cut gears don't expect to be able to drive it without ear plugs.  70mph on the motorway in 5th is deafening.

Personally I'll be buying a cheap MX-5 when I've finished paying for the barge and the Westie.  That way I'll have a nice little sports car for touring and wet trackdays.  

Then I'll supercharge it, uprate the brakes and fit a roll bar  :D  Blower-tastic!

Adding the cost of the trailer + towbar to the CRV makes the Westfield start to get a little expensive. Plus I would then be limited as to where I could store it. It'll be a major faf to have to shuffle all the other cars about, get the Westfield+trailer out, Westfield off the back of the trailer, onto the jack and the diff changed ;)

I recon it'll take over 1K of my budget for the trailer :(

BTW I think you broke the BaT site with your essay ;)

As for a weekend tourer.  Mine is just too brutal for that.  Though the Tillets are comfy and incredibly grippy, they have no padding on them whatsoever.  Couple that to the hard suspension and the ride can get tiring very quickly.  Also if you go for straight cut gears don't expect to be able to drive it without ear plugs.  70mph on the motorway in 5th is deafening.

Juan, stop being a girl and just drive it. Too brutal for weekend touring...........what are you, man or mouse :p

Motorway journeys should always be accompanied with earplugs, straight cut gears or not. If you want straight cut gears, get 1-4 straight cut, and have a helical 5th (if that is possible), for quiet(er) cruising.......

Couldn't agree more with buying a trailer for serious track day/sprint fun though. Takes all the worry out of finding the limit............ ;)

Blatman - You've got to understand I used to own an MX-5  :D

That Tran-X box sounds a good idea, though but a bit of a girly if you ask me  :p  :D

Blatman - You've got to understand I used to own an MX-5

Oooooohhhhhh I see.......you're a hairdresser......... :p  :D  ;)

If anything, my biggest problem is that I could do with about an extra inch in length in the dangler

I thought these cars were a substitute for that problem?