• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Le Mans 2002

ade

Le-mans 2002.I knew this subject would rise before crimbo, well done bud!!

There around half adozen currently interested in travelling down from a small unknown counrty in the midest of England called The Republic of West Yorkshire.

If u could share info on this subject best routes, ferrys etc  I would be grateful.

If there R any other Yorkies interested, give me an email

at buzzy130@hotmail.com and perhaps we can string a meeting up @ one of the area mets and put our battle plan

together to invade France

Going on last year's TV coverage I think a canoe and mack would be a sensible option. Mind u once you've got dug in in the beer tent with the 'Challice Master' then you know the force is with you.

Regards Buzz :cool:

I've got plenty of details about routes and have some directions already in a Word document.  Happy to share them.

Ferry routes, etc. is a matter of personal choice - Calais = long drive to Le Mans, but can be fun.  Ferry usually about £100-£120, Tunnel from £130 upwards for a 5 day ticket (last year's prices BTW).

Cherbourg / Caen - shorter drive in France but longer driver in the UK and much more expensive.  And probably busier.

Newhaven / Dieppe - untried, although a few of us might give it a go this year.

....Portsmouth / Caen....DON'T DO IT if you value your sleep,The crossing takes at least 6 hours,not counting the queuing.!    If you can doze off in a room full of 200 odd, snoring,talking, roaming individuals then great but otherwise you will have to pay out a small fortune for a cabin. The alternative is to trip over all the other slumbering bodies littering the corridors and make your way to the now closed restaurant and get your head down in a corner on one of the hardest seats you will ever have the pleasure of ....Go the long way round, take the shuttle, at least you won't doze off being cut up by the hooligan french drivers (why are all their cars beige or white anyway? )

Portsmouth/Caen........I don't mnd it really. I find that I'm fairly tired when I arive for the 23:15 sailing, as I normally travel on a Wednesday straight from work. A pint or two in the bar, then off to nick a couple of blankets from the seating area and find a nice cosy spot on the floor somewhere. Much better than those god awful chairs. I might try and sleep in the corridor area near the cabins next year. Much quieter ;) but I don't normally have too much trouble sleeping............

I sleep dreaming of a crisp clear morning, and a spectacular blast down to camping Bleu. It has never failed, although the weather after I arrived this year was spectacularly ****e. Ah well, can't have it all I s'pose.......

Used to live in Bordeaux, flip side of this being that I went on the ferry's all the time.

If you go on P&O (I think it is - I can check) you can get what is called a couchette, basically this is a load of bunks with no sheets on down in the bottom of the ship. You go down there with your own sleeping bags and pillows and grab an available one and sleep for the crossing. They're pretty good. You can't book them in advance, so you leg it down there when you're on board, and I 've never had a problem getting a bunk.

I will (in theory) be up for taking the busa to Le Mans along with my mate in a Supercharged Lotus Elise.

Keep us posted, i will travel with the majority.

Midds

:devil:

The Home of the Westfield Megabusa

I'm definately going. It'll be the fourth year for me and the third for the Westie.

One other option for getting there is the Portsmouth to Cherbourg "sea cat". I used this for a business trip a few months ago and was very impressed. About 3 1/2 hours crossing and the price was surprisingly reasonable too.

I wan't so impressed when I missed the crossing on the way back and had to take the overnight ferry but it's not too bad if you pay a few quid extra for a bunk.

If anyone's interested we stay at a very good camp site a few miles out of Le Mans at Chanteloup which I can recommend. Much more civilised than anything near the track (swimming pool, hot showers, no dust and lots of friendly petrol heads).

Will dig up the details...

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

I'll offer you guys some advice......

You may/may not be aware I have for 8 years run the trip for the L7C to Le Mans - for around 110 cars - so I have some experience.

Best route is Portsmouth - Le Havre - P&O ferries are much better than Brittany's shed to Caen.

Take the overnight ferrys and get a cabin - a 4 berth works out at £15 each way for a nights sleep and a shower!

Food on  P& O is also good.

The drive form Le Havre is 130 miles half of whjich is on D class roads (like a UK B but much smoother!), the rest is on N class which are straight and fast with some dual carriageway.  This route is ideal as it is full of British nostalgia - from Bentleys to GT40's and maybe even the odd MCL F1 in terms of of competition cars being driven down by enthusiasts, as well as loads of Ferraris and  German stuff if thats what turns you on... Take the overnight on Wednesday and you'll find those 100+ Cat erhams on the boat with you. (and just to maek a point we always take 1 Westfield with us, and he always wins the participant bravery award......

Best place to camp is Camping Bleu - Close to the circuit, close to Arnage Village and its got cleanish bogs.

For more info on what the L7C does see the Sevens at La Sarthe website.

Our trip is expensive, but we really make the best of a week at the best motor race in the world......

Oh and our token Westfield has already booked.......

You can also get good info from www.clubarnage.com

That wouldnt be blatman would it Arnie ? :xmas:

No, it's not............I would quite like to go with 'em,  but the chap who goes in his Westfield has been going with them for quite a few years. It's not my (or anyone elses) place to attempt to usurp a regular. Non C******m participants are at Arnies discretion, and even then, must be a L7Club GB member (which I am).

You don't get that sort of "Coventry" treatment by the WSCC - I remember a Dutton on a WSCC trip along with many other makes - The more the merrier  :p . Well as long as they have crates of beer available - we'll make friends with anyone.  :xmas:

BM............it must be one of their AOs then ? :xmas:

Its not Adrian Elkin who is Surrey AO for the L7C.

The Westfield which makes it to Le Mans with us is Q151 JWY  belonging to Brian Colman.

Its not "Coventry Treatment", we just dont want to be more than 98% prejudiced (we also let 1 Elise and an Esprit come with us)