• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

V8 Vs 2 Litre

Snowy

The Duratec R 220, Raceline package, which is throttle bodies with wild cams and pocketed pistons, at Webbers rolling road produced 226bhp @ 5500rpm, obviously with their own alpha box of tricks. The emission level is 0.1, noise 5000rpm @ 94dBA. This is without any head work! I beleive the cost is cheap if you can source your own engine compared to K series, 4age and BEC, but I am sure somenone will tell me different.  The engine weighs 93kg plus flywheel and clutch. As this engine is new, R & D will continue, but I hear the US are getting over 300bhp normally aspirated.

Ian

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conibear

• Buzz Billsberry

• windy

• neilb

anything more than 1ltr is far to much ;)

Especially when drinking Jack Daniels :p  ;)

Elise looks well Tony

Buzz :cool:

Buzz thanks.. Its up for sale at 11k if you know anyone whose interested... 197BHP/156LBFT Monster ;)

Tony

In Steve's words the VX engine has been around a long time and good ones are harder and harder to find so the Duratec looks like a good replacment.

For a standard engine with bolt on power (no internal mods) then yes I agree. If you are going for more than 200 hp you will be throwing away standard pistons, rods, valves, followers and seats anyway with the VX and you will be doing the same with new Duratec bits.

With VX engines available very cheap providing they have a good crank (perhaps a light grind or polish needed), a good block (rebore will be required), & a sound head this makes sense for the basis of a very good engine.

It does feel different to drive and is around 180kg heavier then the 2.0 car,it tends to under steer a little.The lsd is a plated diff which I don't like and will be swapping for a quaiffe ATB over the winter.

I never had an Understeer problem, Buzz - I think the ride height has probably settled on those new rear springs I fitted, try raising the rear ride height a little and soften the front Leda's.  To be honest, when you picked it up, it was a bit too low at the rear as I had been trying different settings at Elvington and Cadwell to try and dial out oversteer, because on the limit on 32R's it was a bit tail happy!

Jon

I thought it was Boggys RR ?? well at least its Vassey's

so it should be pretty near. As for the set up don't worry Jon,its like anything else its down to personal taste I can soon dial the understeer out, plus it feels good at the rear.

I've not messed with anything other than the  front brakes,all the suspension settings etc are the same as they were when I picked the car up 3000 miles ago!!

All for the winter projects as well as  a strip and re-build,panel wise that is.

I'll email you what I'll be doing over the winter and then send some picky's

TTFN

Buzz :cool:

It depends on what you want to do?.Do you want a road car you can you use at the track? or do you want a competition car?. The red car would whip the ass of the V8 on the circuit or road but for overall ability the V8 wins as its silky smooth and delivers tons of torque..... but I'm sure you could make a fantastic road car from a 4 pot as per Simon Brumfields 1800 super sport or Greg H's pristine example

Buzz you ain't trying hard enuff in that V8.........

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I was told the cut off point for rods and pistons is around 235bhp so the 220 engines are safe with standard bits and the 250 have new bits.

The base engine is at the moment the expensive bit but should come cheaoer with a few more in the scrappies each day just have not seen one yet.

Paul.

All for the winter projects as well as  a strip and re-build,panel wise that is.

what the devil ?????? Why would you want to re-panel the car ?  Not trashed it have you :p

Jon

No Not re-panel just take them off give the chassis a back to b*****k clean and check everything is as tight/torqued as it should.. 'cause the factory build cars are built like Range Rovers they only become a great car when you taken it away and tightend all the bolts up!!

I managed toget rid of three annoying wrattles, bonnet, L/H side suspension rattle and replace the battery strap as it had torn all the way thro' where the bolts secure the strap to the chassis. It was only held on by the earth and live cabless. I've now replaced the battery and the strapping mec with a Red Top 25 (6kg lighter and laid flat).

Winter Project mainly consists

Contoured dash

Tubular manifold to link with existing system with out cats

(but cats and cast heads  back on when MOT + Risitor)

JP exhaust oval outlets

Steel braided hose piping/mocaling  engine bay

Small front h/lights

Poly suspension Bushes F& R

wide track

Quiafe ATB

Dynolite Wilwoods + smaller rotors

New Set of road wheels and tyres

and a few other bits and bats  otherwise it will remain the same. I've already got most of the bits.The car is actually off the road now as of 30/09 but will be doing the up dates after the track day with the car at Elvington on 19/10 well thats if RaBoon replies to my emails!!

Buzz

One small point in favour of BEC over CEC is that if you want to sprint it with the WSCC, you will find BEC uses an aeroscreen in it's road going class whereas stick one on a CEC and you'll be straight into modified classes.

whereas stick one on a CEC and you'll be straight into modified classes.

Not necessarily  ;)  ;)  we have a road-going modified class for cars that may use aeros and list 1B tyres without going the whole way into modified  :D  :D They are still road going legal everyday use cars that can compete  :D  :)