Widebodied

brenin

Have you driven a Westy yet? Might be worth a trip to the factory to see the various options that are available (in terms of engines). Failing that, get along to a local meet and chat to the people there about the various options.

Your budget should get you into 16V territory as Blatters has already said. It might be worth budgeting to spend a little more to get a good example however. Last December, my 1997 factory built wide body with a 2 litre Zetec cost me about 8.5k.

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding similar specified cars at about the same sort of price.

Oh, and do join the club ;).

Andy

I have driven a 1.6 cvh. Got a real sense of the fun you could have - but not as powerful as I was expecting. Are there 3 top tips of things to look for on Westies - to help me make sure I don't get a dud!

A 1.6 CVH is probably down in the low hundreds BHP as far as power goes. A decent 16V engine will give you something like 150-180BHP depending on the exact engine and spec. That's likely to be 50% more power than you experienced! :t-up:

Best tip I can give you is take someone knowledgeable with you when you view cars. Because a lot of cars are self-built, there's a lot of variation in the build quality between cars.

Best way to do this is to join the club, get along to your local meet and persuade someone to come with you ;).

Andy

(1) Buy a BEC :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

(2) History - receipts, mots, build notes, modification docs etc

(3) General condition - was it built with care and looked after or was it thrown together in a rush and then abused.

Just the usual things when buying a car I guess... You can look for goodies like: Shock absorbers - AVOs (alloy ones), Nitron, Transpaxs and the rest, alloy hubs & uprights, LSD, light weight wheels, carbon bits and bobs etc.

The best bet is to look at lots of them and talk to the people that own them - the advice you'll get will be worth the effort of getting along to a club meet.

I'm sure you'd get a passenger ride in a few cars, so you can better decide what you're after...

Regards

JC

A tad uncharitable of you both perhaps? Ian has only posted four times....

Just a bit of joshing....and I did make the note about brenin being a newbie, in the hope that he wouldn't take offence.

Hopefully, he'll get out in a better well driven one soon, hopefully, which may help him to re-adjust his idea of what quick is......   :0  :0  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :D

i side with brenin.  my first run out in a westie was a 1.6cvh and my general feeling was fun but disappointing.

so i bought a 2ltr 16v Vx for 7.5k (narrow body) and it has blown my mind in terms of acceleration and handling.

the scary thing is if i spend more money on it it will go faster still :D  :D  :D  :devil: