Widebodied

brenin

I am thinking of buying a Westie for general fun and possibly racing. Local garage has a 94 racing green model. 5K on the clock. Westfield build with 1.6 engine.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How can I tell if it's a widebody version - or not?

2. The garage is asking 7.5K - I think this is a bit high - anyone got a view on that?

Thanks

For 7.5k it'd better be a VERY tidy car indeed, with ALL the history, and have a reasonably hot 1.7 x-flow, or a "standard" Toyota 4AGE (slim chance), or Vx 1.6 (almost no chance).

If it's not A1, and/or it has a CVH engine, walk away........

To tell if it's a wide body, it'll have little cout outs on the rear tub, into which the light clusters nestle. No cut out's, then it's a narrow body.

If it has a visible seam around the inner of the rear wing, then it's definitely a wide body as it detachable arches (a *good* thing, IMO).....

or it has a CVH engine, walk away........

Blatman I agree with all you say....but CVH engines are not soooo bad.  

My CVH is fun and even held up it's end at Mallory this year.  It is light, 100% reliable (so far), cheap to up-grade and an ideal weekend blat car.  It may not be the coooolest engine in the paddock but it's got it's uses.   :p

Taxi Taxi

:blush:

but it's got it's uses.

Thanks Chris .......... that's really opened it up for abuse now  :devil:  :devil:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :)  :D  :blush:

OK - so what should I be looking for in a first Westie. I want weekend fun - I'm not a major mechanic (but want to learn on the Westie) and I'm used to faster cars (have had a couple of supra TT's).

Shoudl I go wide body or isn't that so important?

Thanks

IaN

Supra TT's ain't fast..........sure, flat out down a motorway they'll pull high numbers, but for country lane blasting, there isn't much that comes close to a well driven Westfield.

Or, put another way, you won't see Supras topping the times at sprints or hillclimbs. Westfields (road legal ones at that) regularly do........it's a different type of fast ;)

You definitely want wide bodied, 'cos that's all that the factory now produce. You definitely want independent rear suspension too.......

Narrows stopped production around 1994. The car you are looking at is over priced.

What is your budget?

For 7.5K you are firmly in 16valve territory, so you want a car with a Zetec, Vauxhall 16valve (NOT 8 valve...) ot Toyota 4AGE. if you can stretch to 8.5K, you pick up a really nice, properly quick car.

This would be a good car, although I'd check if it was aeroscreen or windscreen equipped.

This looks cheap, but it does have swept wings, which aren't to everyones taste.

You'll find more on www.findit.co.uk

Arf.

My initial reaction was the same as yours Will, but after I'd picked myself up off the floor, I thought I'd try to offer some constructive criticism....... :D  :D  :D

after I'd picked myself up off the floor

ok i,ve stopped laughing now

A tad uncharitable of you both perhaps? Ian has only posted four times....

Ian, best bet is find out where you're local club meet is. Get yourself along and have a look at other peoples' cars (and how much they cost). Also remember winter is on its way, so car values may dip a bit... so just take your time.

Regards

John

Thanks for the advice. I will bide my time and get more ideas.

and for all the TT knockers..................

To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)