• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Skid lid or not

chumley-warner

1.JPG

2.JPG

I am a true newbie, and I can't wait!

I am just in the process of acquiring this beast. It has no windscreen - duh! The previous owner recommended just sunglasses, but since I already wear glasses, and during our (high speed) test drive I could barely see for the jumping around, do I stay as I am, wear goggles or do most of you without windscreens wear helmets?

If so are they full face? and have any of you been whacked in the face with loose stones?

David

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chumley-warner

• Buzz Billsberry

• furtive

• Barry Ashcroft

I only have aeroscreens too, but then I only use my car on the race track.

I would not drive it without a helmet.  If I was to drive it on the road I would not trust mere sunglasses.  I have been hit with stones before that would have destroyed sunglasses.  However depending on how low you sit in the car, and how effective your aeroscreen is, you might be able to get away with sunglasses - but you will need to check their safety levels - ie glass may not be the best option - perhaps these sports sunglasses may be better as they will not throw shards of glass in your eyes.  Of course this still leaves you open to stones hitting your face, but that will merely hurt and cut you, and not blind you!

I fitted an aeroscreen last week, and have covered a couple of hunderd miles on the road with it.  I have a decent pair of sunglasses (Wiley) which are impact resistant and will not (hopefully) shatter if hit by a stone.  I find they are fine for country lane driving and driving around town, but for long distances on dual carriageways & motorways a helmet is a good bet.  Personally I would not recommend just wearing prescription glasses AFAIK the lenses could shatter if hit by a stone.

If you visit a decent motorbike shop you can get decent goggles (Oakley) that will fit over glasses.

Wow, nice looking car !!

I tend to use a decent pair of Oakley sunglasses (the lenses are suitably tested and robust to cope with stones) but wear a lid when it's raining or cold (helps keep the ears warm ;) ).

I wear glasses but also use contact lenses but there's nothing to stop you getting prescription sunglasses with polycarbonate lenses in them.  At night I use a pair of clear goggles, again with polycarbonate lenses.

Thanks guys. I have a full face and an open face helmet from my hairdryer scooter. I like the idea of polycarbonate sunglasses the most I think. I am planning on doing about 80% / 20% B-road / track driving so perhaps I use the full face for getting it home, and the special sunglasses for the B-roads.

As for driving at night / in the wet, this car it terrifying enough in the dry for me for the moment!

I look forward to meeting you all and coming to play....how do I sign up for the next social?

Spec is pretty high....it is an ex-racer.

Obviously from the carbs you can see it is V8.

It is a 4.6 litre John Eales conversion. There is a bit of titanium, magnesium and carbon fibre hanging around to keep it light, but once I learn more I would like to upgrade with a little help from people who know more than me. It does need a bit of tidying up.

Conservative estimate is 300 bhp into 640kgs. :p

It's loud.

Currently, it scares the willies out of me, but I'll get used to it I reckon!

Currently, it scares the willies out of me, but I'll get used to it I reckon!

nah that never happens.  mine still terriffies me  ;)  :D

as for lids - i tend to do most of my driving with a baseball cap and decent sunglasses.  the cap keeps most of the chippings from hitting the head to hard and the glasses keep the bugs out.  the cap has been tested too 120mph and seems quite happy, but it is tide to my jacket just in case.

if it is raining hard then i go for a lid, and if it is hailing then definately.  i try not to drive it too often in snow  :durr:

Furtive - yes it it Silverstone - not sure which garage - apparantly it had a run in with an F50 and beat it.

oioi - I am pretty convinced that I will not be using it in the snow, unless I can get it really wound up so it melts as I drive over it??

As for lids, I will get some posh sunglasses I think and a baseball cap, but I will wear helmet on the motorway I think.

When is the next meeting near me? I am in North Essex?

I've been driving around for the last few weeks with no screen at all and found glasses useless for protection. I ended up using workshop protective glasses (wrap round sort that fit over normal glasses) and they work fine.

Apart from the previous comments I'd like to add that, apart from grit in the face, the biggest problem I found was dust. Amazing how much dust gets thrown up by cars on a dry day and glasses do nothing to stop it going in your eyes. 3 miles without protective glasses and I needed eye drops before I could see again :(

*cough* and you can download a WSCC membership form from WSCC Homepage here  :D  :D  :D  :D

Floor cost over 20K I was told when at the WSB with GSE earlier in the year.

Beats my concrete Mess!!!!!!!!! ???