The New Westfield Project - one year on......

fatbaldbloke

When I swapped from a standard to longrange fuel tank the filler didn't quite line up. As the tank was new and never contained any fuel it was easy to cut the neck on one side, move over slightly and reweld. Perhaps this would work for you.

Good suggestion, unfortunately although the tank is new for this project it does now have petrol in it as I've run the engine, however I do have a cunning plan that I'm fairly confident will work out just fine. Pictures to follow in a few days...

Incidentally, here's the finished kevlar reinforced panels around the reverse gear on the diff pinion nose:

m240612001.jpg

Back to the fuel filler being in the wrong place. Here's my plan...

I cut the engine side panels off a little while ago as I have carbon ones to fit, so I have kept some pieces of grp with exactly the same gelcoat colour and age deterioration. I cut a disc out of one of the spare side panels to fit the old fuel filler hole. It's held in place with some gaffer tape from behind while I've run in some gelcoat around the edges, which I've chamfered.

m240612002.jpg

Next stage was to lay up a couple of layers of grp and polyester resin on the back to hold it more robustly in place.

m240612003.jpg

Next I've rubbed down the new gelcoat with 240 then 600 then 1000 grade wet and dry (used wet), followed by some rubbing compound and cut the new hole in the right place for the filler cap. It's quite difficult now to see the join but it's there if one looks closely.

m240612004.jpg

So, just to distract the eye I've put in a backing circle of some spare carbon fibre sheet I had lying around, the same size as the fog light housing. Bearing in mind this car's for driving rather than showing, I'm happy now that with a bit of wear, tear and road dirt, job's as good as done. On with the rest of the bodywork...

m240612005.jpg

Good job.

Cleggy showed me his repair in wales and it was almost invisible. Just shows what can be done with a bit of care and patience.

Did you tape over you gel to allow it to set or use an additive?

Did you tape over your gel to allow it to set or use an additive?

Nope, used as supplied by Westfield with standard polyester resin hardener. It sets a bit tacky and waxy but I've found rubbing it down with say 240 wet and dry paper initially with plentiful water with a little washing up liquid in it is absolutely no problem. Then move onto 600 and 1000 grade, again with water plus detergent. Finish off with some cutting compound, I use Polarshine from Carbon Mods.

Good job!

and those arches look nice :) hmmmmm :love:

• Like 1

shaping up to be a very nice car indeed :cool:

Been spending hours and hours getting the body, scuttle, nose, bonnet, etc aligned to a greater or lesser extent. Not quite ready to post some photos of the bodywork yet but in the meantime here's the drop down electrical panel with the ecu, power commander, fuses and water pump controller:

m300612001.jpg

Finished off the tunnel with another home made carbon panel and some leatherwork:

m020712001.jpg

• Looking good. I think you need to make a carbon steering wheel over the winter ;-)

Been working on the back of the car recently. This one was definitely measured twice and cut once, there's no going back with the carbon arches...

m070712001.jpg

All worked out quite well, I think...

m070712002.jpg

Here's a view of the engine compartment that I more or less finished off earlier in the week, I just have to make the pedal cover, but looking ok so far, I think...

m070712003.jpg

And from a bit further back...

m070712004.jpg

I'm holding off posting full and three-quarter shots at the moment as I still have a little bit of tidying to do before I'm really happy, but I'm hopeful of being ready for the MOT sometime this week.