The New Westfield Project - one year on......

fatbaldbloke

Sorry I haven't added to this post for a few weeks. I've more or less finished the carbon panelling for the tunnel but I've been seconded to fit a new kitchen in my daughter's house. Should have that finished by the end of the bank holiday so back onto the build then, full steam ahead. The next bit, and quite a challenging one, is to make the carbon rear bulkhead. I'll post a few photos of my attempts. Should still be on the road towards the end of July I would think.

Are you going to to track / sprint it when its done ?

Are you going to track / sprint it when its done ?

That's a very good question. I probably enjoy building more than driving if I'm honest. I'll certainly use it on the road and maybe do a track day as I'll get nowhere near realising its performance on the A422.... I've no real desire at the moment to compete though. I know I'll be looking for another project when it's finished, possibly a classic, but I don't know what right now and I certainly haven't any plans to part with the 'busa, I'm planning on it being a "keeper".

• 2 weeks later...

Almost finished the kitchen, so getting on again with the car.... Made a couple more panels for the tunnel and fitted them.

15051201.jpg

15051202.jpg

Also fitted the new Playskool roll bar and the fuel tank vent. Checked that the fuel tank is earthed as well.

15051203.jpg

...and another view of the new carbon bits...

15051204.jpg

Next is the rear bulkhead, which is the single largest bit of carbon I'll be making, so a little nervous about this one. Started by making a mould from mdf and hardboard, painted with a polyurethane sealer.

15051205.jpg

Next job was cutting the carbon on the kitchen floor. I'm using 3 plies of 2x2 twill, so should give me just over 1mm thickness when finished. This will be a pricey mistake if it all goes Pete Tong...

15021206.jpg

Next task is to lay it up in the mould using a wet lay up technique. This involves brushing epoxy resin into the carbon and deaerating it with a bristled roller and hot air gun. I'll be the first to say that this method isn't as efficient as pre-preg, but it's what I have available, and much of the pleasure is in facing these challenges. The final layer is a peel-ply, which helps consolidate the carbon and removes surplus resin.

15051207.jpg

And with a huge sense of relief, it separated from the mould after 24 hours curing...it's a big piece!

15051208.jpg

15051209.jpg

This weekend I should get it trimmed and fitted, after which I'll be able to get on with the external bodywork.

Nice one Ian! I did the same (albeit on a piece of glass) to make some door cards - sure is scary rolling out that much carbon cloth and thinking 'this better not go belly up...'.

Car is looking great, very much looking forward to the next installment :)

So, the rear bulkhead is trimmed and fitted, and looking good in the sun.

m270512003.jpg

The next task is to fit some side panels to add a little resilience, but more importantly to just look nice from inside the car rather than see the inside of the grp bodywork. I've used some Plays-Kool carbon look ABS, fitted with black Sikaflex and rivetted.

m270512004.jpg

It's starting to look quite a nice place to be IMHO.

m270512005.jpg

m270512006.jpg

Next job is the remaining tunnel side pieces where the reverse pinion gear is. This is about 10mm wide than the tunnel so I need to make a mould with a "power bulge" in the middle. As this is potentially (but unlikely!) a bit of a hazard, I thought I'd make this with a carbon cosmetic layer but use kevlar for the structure.

m270512001.jpg

I had some of the Plays-Kool abs plastic left over, so I made a hole in a piece of mdf and trimmed the piece I removed to fit with a bit of clearance. Then applying some heat the plastic sheet I pushed the sheet into the hole to make a smooth edged rebate. This was all a bit experimental, I've never tried it before but after a couple of attempts it all came out rather well.

m270512002.jpg

I've used a carbon-kevlar mix for the structural layup.

m270512007.jpg

Next job, to make a second panel and trim them to fit, then onto the big bit of bodywork that's been sat on the patio for a year unmoved since the very first photo in this thread (and at one stage used by Mrs FBB as a compost heap...)

A certain "know-all, know-oops, i said a naughty word!-all" on BlatChat once posted that pre-peg was the only way to form carbon panels and wet lay up was for amateurs and no where near as good.

Richard - RiF (RIP) posted the best put down on BC I've ever seen. After explaining his credentials as an industrial chemist he went on to explain the difference in technical terms and concluded "Both methods are equally as good but different"

Ed to add, (must get some memory pills) that the car is looking really good. Beware of UV attack on the resin. I would suggest you leave a piece out in the sun for a few days and see if the resin goes soft and yellow.

A certain "know-all, know-oops, i said a naughty word!-all" on BlatChat once posted that pre-peg was the only way to form carbon panels and wet lay up was for amateurs and no where near as good.

Richard - RiF (RIP) posted the best put down on BC I've ever seen. After explaining his credentials as an industrial chemist he went on to explain the difference in technical terms and concluded "Both methods are equally as good but different"

Thanks Norm, that's my understanding. Like most things the quality is about attention to detail. Getting all the air out and consolidating the material layers is what matters so the ratio of carbon to resin is kept as high as possible. I put a lot of effort into working the resin into the material first and then with a hot air gun and bristled roller really getting as much of the air out as possible. I repeat this for each layer and then using the final layer of peel ply (not shown in the photo above as it covers everything) really working with the roller to consolidate the layers. As for it being amateur; one, isn't that what kit cars are, and two, I'd put mine alongside a factory built car any day when it comes to quality and attention to detail.

• Like 2

Attention to detail. When Richard made the first panels for me (I was in the UK, he lived here) he phoned to say the boot floor had a blemish and he would charge me half price but if I wasn't happy to return it and he'd make another.

Panels duly arrived and I inspected this boot floor minutely. I couldn't find anything wrong. I phoned him expecting him to say that he's made another panel. No, the blemish was a pin hole on the underside (road side) about x -y from the front corner. I looked and found a minute pinhole as it was on the road side I told him not to worry and paid the full price.

Like most things the quality is about attention to detail. Getting all the air out and consolidating the material layers is what matters so the ratio of carbon to resin is kept as high as possible. I put a lot of effort into working the resin into the material first and then with a hot air gun and bristled roller really getting as much of the air out as possible. I repeat this for each layer and then using the final layer of peel ply (not shown in the photo above as it covers everything) really working with the roller to consolidate the layers. As for it being amateur; one, isn't that what kit cars are, and two, I'd put mine alongside a factory built car any day when it comes to quality and attention to detail.

100% agree with all of the above! It's aaalllllll about the attention to detail.

I've seen a hugely expensive car (that's had a LOT of recent work - clutch, head gasket, chassis work, new ECU, pretty big bill) rendered useless this weekend because of poor attention to detail - stuff like a belt rubbing through a sensor. Massively frustrating for the owner :(

The car I am currently enjoying is a testament to the fact that attention to detail pays off :t-up: Thanks again Ian!

PS: I know you said it's a keeper, but I'm first in line if you do ever sell the 'Busa :laugh: