One of the sadest days

Jimmy_the_boy

I can manage speed  bumps in mine if I drive slowly but I would like to know if a council can put an object in a road that cannot be negotiated at the speed limit for that road, without causing damage to the vehicle? Isn't that obstruction? And if the humps cannot be negotiated by a road legal vehicle, isn't that false imprisonment? Discuss.

Good question Bazz

I always thought that any speed hump could not be more that 100mm in height and had to be suitable for any SVA approved vehicle     ???  

Anybody know for sure or is this one the Local councils make up as they go along   ???     :suspect:

Good question Bazz

I always thought that any speed hump could not be more that 100mm in height and had to be suitable for any SVA approved vehicle     ???  

Anybody know for sure or is this one the Local councils make up as they go along   ???     :suspect:

And the recommended height for a Westie is about 125mm below the chassis at the front, and 145 or so at the rear, on 15" wheels? However, with some engines/bellhousings the ground clearance is quite a bit less?

Bottom  of my bellhousing and back of my sump is way below the level of  the front of the chassis. However, in a compression, they are saved by the hoop under the gearbox hitting the ground instead, because it is even lower (slightly!).

Some people recommend cutting out and removing the hoop! :bangshead:  :bangshead:

If I encounter a very high speed bump I just go over it at walking pace, and the hoop (and seat mounting bolts under the lowered floor) just scrape over it.

I can manage speed  bumps in mine if I drive slowly but I would like to know if a council can put an object in a road that cannot be negotiated at the speed limit for that road, without causing damage to the vehicle? Isn't that obstruction? And if the humps cannot be negotiated by a road legal vehicle, isn't that false imprisonment? Discuss.

I believe that a speed limit is a maximum speed for the road. Unless a minimum speed limit is shown then it matters not if you have to slow to a crawl to get over them!

Yes 125mm is the maximum height for any speed hump, although I think that there are many out there that are higher!

My Westie runs a higher ride height than my Tiger R6 did so now I have no problems with the cushions in my road. (Or any other that I have encountered). - So far!!!!!

lol......bit off topic...... start 'Car for Sale' and now 'speed bumps'......amusing how things start and finish :-)  

Anyone managed to find out how much

Yes 125mm is the maximum height for any speed hump, although I think that there are many out there that are higher!

I thought it was 100mm +/- 10%

Speed bump in Belper (Derbyshire) cost me a new sump and a bum clenching drive with fingers & toes crossed that I held onto enough oil to get me home after ... luckily I did !!

Hate the damn things .... they are a pain in the wallet !!!

Did someone mention a car for sale on here somewhere ... oh well ... ???

Know your predicament, before the Westie I had a Robin Hood 2B with a 2-litre Ford EFI lump in it, the sump hung out the bottom of the car and the number of times I'd dinged it on speed bumps. Tore it right down the middle on one of those flippy claw type bumps that didn't retract properly.

Now the council have chucked a load of bumps down along our road, not too bad if you can go between them but if you have to go over them, 2 wheels up, 2 wheels down, you're doing walking speed and holding everyone up. Now moving house to an un speed bumped area and I can't wait.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.