• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Weight SDV- SEiW

Johan F

Well done on the SVA and thanks, I may just get in touch :-)

I've started an SDV thread as well as this one went a little off track.

Ahh well, back to the illusive top Diff bolt today.....

Stuart

Glad to hear it got through SVA OK.   I had to re-test twice with my SEiW, but the sense of achievement at the end of it makes up for all the hassle along the way.

One small point for all you guys building/about to build/just finished building a SDV Westie, I hope you will all be sending in your membership applications soon?   I can guarantee you will get value for money from the small investment. There's a bi monthly mag, lots of organised events, and I have never met a nicer bunch of guys.

Neil

:D  :D  :D

By the way, what is it that ties the SDV to the Pinto engine? Is it totally impossible to use another engine?

/ Johan

Is it totally impossible to use another engine?

Nope - it is only restricted by your imagination and know how  :D  ;)

Ok Mark, but exactly wich details is it that I will have to apply all of my imagination and know how to?  :D

Wich Ford engines are lighter then the Pinto, apart from the Zetec?

Zetec, X-Flow and CVH are all lighter than a Pinto  :D

But a Pinto is noted as an SDV engine simply because that is the engine from the Single Donor Vehicle i.e a Sierra  :D  :D

CVH, X-Flow and Zetec will all mate up to a Type 9 gearbox, with possibly some adjustment to propshaft to suit - they will all fit in the space available of any Westfield engine bay and parts are available for all engines to suit your pocket and performance requirements  :D  :D  :D  ;)  :D  :)

P.S. Non Ford engines lighter than a Pinto and fitted to a number of Westfield engine bays = VX 2.0 and 1600, Toyota 4AGE, K-Series, Lotus Twin Cam and Fiat Twin Cam  :D

:D  :D Thanks :D  :D

But using a non- Ford engine takes a whole lot of imagination and know how, right?

I guess that the Ford gearbox and propshaft goes out the window? :(

No, not really.  You can get a bell-housing to mate Vauxhall engines to Ford type 9 gearboxes off the shelf from places like SBD.

Not sure about the Toyota option - no idea what gearbox they're using to be honest but I'm sure a company like Raw Engineering would be able to help.

And if, god forbid, you decided to look at the K Series engine then c******m would be able to provide a bell-housing to mate it to a Ford type 9 box.

Prop-shafts are easy enough to sort out, assuming a standard one from Westfield was no good - they have propshafts to fit Ford gearboxes (type 9 and MT75) and only if you were trying to push the engine a long way back would you need to worry about shortening one of those.  Trying to think of the name of the company used by some of the BEC crowd for one-off or modified prop-shafts.  Bailey Morris might be it but a search of the archives should find it.

Where there's a will there's a way !!

I have a 4A-GE engine in my Westfield and it is connected to a Type 9 'box.  Raw sell a suitable bell housing to connect the two.

Ok, great!

Wich Toyotas use the 4AGE engine and how much is the bell- housing?

Does RAW and SBD have websites?

(Not very familiar with those companies, live in Sweden..) :)