• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Weight SDV- SEiW

Johan F

I don't know of anyone who has a SDV here yet.   Perhaps the factory will have the answer to that one.

FWIW, I suspect the SDV with Sierra running gear engine etc will come out pretty heavy compared to an SEiW.

Why?

The only real differences between, the SDV, and a "normal" SEiW, as far as I can remember, is that the SDV uses Sierra front uprights instead of Cortina ones, and the Sierra steering column (I think) instead of a Ford/Allegro item. Can't see there being a significant difference in the all up weight......

Do they use Sierra rear drums to? Still can't see the drums adding much "extra" weight.......In fact the heaviest item would be the Pinto engine, whereas most SEiW's use Zetecs (poor fools).

I reckon it's close enough not to have to worry about it.......

Yup. Just checked the Westfield Sportscars web site. The blurb says that you need to salvage

Engine And Gearbox (Complete)

Front Uprights, Disc, Calipers And Hubs

Differential And Drive Shafts · Rear Brakes

Exhaust Manifold

Propshaft

Top Column Inc Lock And Bottom Column

Handbrake Lever

Wheels And Tyres · Battery

V5 Document

Most SEiW's already use the Sierra handbrake lever, diff, and driveshafts. As for the rest, I can't see them adding a significant amount of weight over a "normal" SEiW, as I have already said.

It was the pinto I was thinking about Blatman.   What you're forgetting is that gorgeous 27kg that a Zetec lacks - when compared to one of those Foks-all - which of course must weigh about the same as a pinto  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

The Pinto engine will make a slight difference over a Zetec or a Vx, mostly 'cos of the cast iron head. In that respect, yes, some extra weight is inevitable. Sierras also came with CVH's too, so the SDV with a CVH should, in theory, be comparable to a "normal" SEiW with a CVH. Likewise, the SDV with a Pinto would be comparable to a "normal" SEiW with a Pinto........A Zetec and a Vx (and a Cossie) should weigh a little less, 'cos they all have ally heads.........

I always knew you Zetec boys were lightweights at heart... :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :p  :p  :p

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the CVH will fit readily into the SDV - asked the question recently myself while looking for  a Sierra.

There is a lot of blurb missing from the SDV manuals so if anyone has one please contact me I have a few newbie type questions.

Ta

I don't think the CVH will fit readily into the SDV

Why not  ???  ???

I checked with Richard at Westfield  !

I was, still am for that matter, very confused about the requirments of the various models so I asked the question. To be honest I'm a knats wotsit from cancelling my order.

:-(

I hate to be negative, but if the options and ordering process is getting you down, to the point of being ready to cancel your order; I really must point out that actually building a car and getting it through an SVA will not allways be the happiest of times.

Westfield ownership is great fun don't get me wrong, but the highs do at times have lows...the ordering should be one of the major highs, not a time of dispair.....that comes when you can't wait to get out into the sunshine and it's still in loads of pieces. May be you should workout your budget and aim to spend the money on a complete car, ready to go, ready for some fun  :)  enjoy the high points.

Thanks, I think !

You may be right. 3 weeks to delivery and through all the problems I can't wait, the donor wehcile is in pieces already and I'm re-furbing the engine with my son tonight

The build doesn't worry me at all but as I said the the guy I don't want any surprises in the costs. ie I test drive the car we agree the price and I get the kit to build the car - simple   Errr No!  I part with the deposit and then find out that the bonnet to fit the Sierra Carb arrangement needs to be upgraded - why its a single donor vehicle ??, the rear arches are extra etc etc Its technically challenging also, no one could tell me by how much to shorten the prop, or indeed what side of the bearing to chop (I do accept trial and fit but nowhere in any manual does it say chop the prop). I have quite a list.

The Westy parts price list doesn't correlate with the full kit of SDV parts on offer so you don't really know what you are getting or the individual costs, indeed the build manual doesn't really give a build sequence and there are two supplements for the SDV which sorta contradict each other. I could go on  but thats not why I logged on,

I've got a few questions for other SDV owner/builders so if anyone is willing to field a few questions   -  THANKS  - I might even go to the factory tomorrow.

Bored yet? sorry.

Cheers

The weight of the sdv is 650kg, so westfield told me, what they dont tell you is that you need to get things modified such as the front uprights and lower steering column, would be nice if they added that into the sales info,

the ideal donor car needs to be a pre 88 sierra pinto.

I picked up mine yesterday so i will keep you posted on the project............and let you know of any hamers going through the wall!!!!!!!!!! :p

I pick mine up on the 26th June.

My  88 Sierra is pretty much in bits and repair parts for that on their way. Can't get the top Diff bolt out tho :-(

The 88 Sierra has ECU and Weber that can't easily be used on the SDV so make sure you check the ignition system before buying - caught me out

Stuart

???

TOOK MY SDV FOR ITS SVA TEST LAST THURSDAY THE ONLY THING IT FAILED ON WAS BRAKING EFFICANTCY ON ONE WHEEL. FOUND THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM WHICH WAS A LEAKING SHOCK WHICH HAD CONTAMINATED THE PADS, SO BE WARNED IF YOU HAVE THE WESTFIELD SHOCKS. NOT ALL BAD GOT MY RE-TEST ON FRIDAY THE 13????.

AS FOR THE WEIGHT OF THE SDV MY ONE WAS 594KG.

STUART I HAVE TRIED TO PHONE A COUPLE OF TIMES.

IF ANY ONE NEEDS ANY HINTS OR TIPS CONTACT ME AND I WILL TRY TO HELP.