Stick on Number Plates

cidersurfer

That's absurd!

So a bloke in an E-type needs a new number plate cos his gets damaged, and he has to find somewhere to stick a dirty great plastic thing on his E-Type?

The mind boggles...

Andy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• S8ight

• adhawkins

• DMS

• Mike

Top Posters In This Topic

It's down right bl**dy ridiculous but as you will see here under Schedule 2 Part 1, that is the law as it states "VEHICLES REGISTERED AND NEW REGISTRATION PLATES FITTED ON OR AFTER 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (MANDATORY SPECIFICATION)"

Hopefully, the old adage of de minimis non curat lex (basically that the law does not concern itself with trifles) generally prevails.

Mind you, there must be a market here for someone to develop stick on plates that satisfy the BS (British Standard, that is  :0  :0  :0 )

hang on, that link gives 3 possibilities

1) Car registered or number plate fitted after 2001

retro-reflective black on white etc

2) Car registered from 73 to 01

reflex reflective black on white etc

3) pre 73

reflex reflective black on white (ie same as 2)

or

tranlucent (lit behind) on black)

or

white/silver/grey on black

So surely a 73-01 car with black on white is the same spec as a pre-73 with black on  white.

ie. if a stick on plate like we all have is ok for pre-73 then it must be ok up to 2001 as well? It is reflex-reflective, the right size and black on white as expected!

Is my logic flawed?

Also, the 2001 on bit says

"VEHICLES REGISTERED AND NEW REGISTRATION PLATES FITTED ON OR AFTER 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 "

Does that "FITTED" bit mean 1st fitted or when the replacement plate (but same reg not) was fitted?

ie. I can see that a change of plate (to a personal one etc) would be relevent but how can anyone tell you have replaced it if the number is the same? This would help out the E type owner etc.

Not so relevent if you cannot find supplies of the old type though  :(

I think us pre-2001 people need only concern ourselves with "the British Standard Specification for reflex-reflecting number plates, published on 11 September 1972 under the number BS AU 145a", not the later standard. Can anyone state the specifics of that?

IMO the best suggestion is to have the proper plate, with mounting brackets attached, in the boot box and use the 'it fell off approach' if cautioned.  It would be very difficult to prove it did not, and very unlikely for plod to prosecute on a fault that was so easily and readily fixed.  Just make sure that, if you are pulled, you do fit it back on the front, as they may make a point of keeping an eye out if you are local.

JD

Today, I saw a 03 TVR Whatsitcalled 350 that had a stick-on number plate supplied by the TVR dealer, because beside the windscreen, there is no suitable vertical surface, full stop.

The plot thins...

IMO the best suggestion is to have the proper plate, with mounting brackets attached, in the boot box and use the 'it fell off approach' if cautioned.  

I'd tend to disagree with that sentiment. Having no front plate fitted is asking for a tug, whatever you tell the copper. It just gives him an excuse to start looking the car over more closely, and you could still get a 14 day fixer ticket, which will see you at the MOT centre spending money (I asume you have to pay. I've never had one, despite my stick on plates), and then going back to the nick to prove the work has been carried out (again, I'm assuming...)............

We're having enough trouble deciding what's legal, even with the relevant laws in front of us, so I doubt a busy copper would give a car with a front plate of any type (except an obviously illegal one) a second glance......

Blatters

You're right......  and wrong  :p  :p

You are correct that a police officer would, likely, not be bothered unless there is something obviously wrong  :)  :)

But you're wrong because exactly like the farce that is the 'Camera Safety Partnership', how long will it be before Gordon Gopher's extend all forms of road safety 'policing', sorry tax collecting, to paying civilians to collect money from road users not complying with every letter of the law. Each white van (often crewed by 'off duty' policemen) has a 'budget', once they recover their costs all revenue goes direct to the treasury.

The only solution to this creeping 'big brother' is to kill it by making it too expensive. If everyone whose receives a 'fixed penalty' notice (as is their right) wrote and asked for copies of appropriate calibration certificates, officer training certification and ACPO guidance for deployment/usage notes the system would be overwhelmed and the whole nonsense would just go away.

[/rant]

Meanwhile, I have established from my number plate supplier that it is legal for them to supply white letter on black stick on plates if the registration matches a pre 73 vehicle and it is legal for me to stick them on my Eleven so I'm happy....       I think  :D  :D  ;)