Stick on Number Plates

cidersurfer

Another newbie and lovin' it too!  :D

7 weeks ownership of a 7th hand 1990 SEiW in need of TLC.

Have sorted the majority of mech gremlins so getting cosmetic now.

The DVLA website says stick on plates are illegal, but I fancy putting one on the front anyway. Has anyone had any problems with the boys in blue???

Just testing the water...  :devil:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• S8ight

• adhawkins

• DMS

• Mike

Top Posters In This Topic

:t-up: No problems, the plates been on from new...1988, if it's illegal should it pass the MOT test? :)

Cheers

Mark :cool:  :cool:

if it's illegal should it pass the MOT test?

Mark

Not sure about MOT validity but DVLA section for number plates, frequently asked questions gives...

'Are stick-on number plates legal? No, number plates must meet the British Standard requirements and we are not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that are able to meet these requirements.'

My other halfs a copper. She says, it'd need to be a really clued up copper to know, but you'd probably only get a producer for your documents under the VDRS (Vehicle Defect Rectification Scheme). If it was a jobsworth though, you could get a non-endorsable £30 fine...   :angry:   :angry:  :arse:

Check out...DVLA - Frequently Asked Questions

stick on plate is ok for MOT, as is a small sized plate.

but not once you use it on the road.

MOT test has got lots of quirky bits like that in it.

official line also states that the number plate must be attached to the first vertical surface at the front of the car.. if u see what i mean...

been pulled twice but never any mention of the stick on number plate..  just like annoying the #### out of me :angry:

Been stopped twice by the same copper for excessive use of revs (Don't you think it would be more sensible to use second or third gear along a street like this sir, it must be very loud for the homeowners...) and once by another for squeaky tyres on a roundabout neither cared about my plate:

BODY1B.jpg

The DVLA website says stick on plates are illegal, but I fancy putting one on the front anyway. Has anyone had any problems with the boys in blue???

Cider,

I've had one on without any probs. (I live in the same town as you and never been stopped - they're too busy watching out for the Max Power boys at Hankridge)

Hickleys have 'em in stock, (or did when I bought mine) about £5.00 all in if you need to know where to get them.

Minghis.

Stick on numberplates are illegal. I remember some guy talking about their has to be a certain thickness of glue used. Only way i thought of was to get a standard plate and stick that on the nosecone, May look C**P but you wont get naled by the piggys. :cool:

'I'm sorry officer it must have fallen off down the road, I am sure it was there when I set off on my journey.  I will get it sorted asap'

:D