Stick on Number Plates

cidersurfer

think  pre 74 ? stuff is exempt. black backgrounds etc. also on the likes of the E-type if that is how it was on the origional car its ok still.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• S8ight

• adhawkins

• DMS

• Mike

Top Posters In This Topic

Some older vehicles are exempt in terms of number plate colour, letter size, spacing, font, etc, and maybe some stick-on ones are OK. I think the main issue is for brand new cars and newly made number plates for more modern cars. All new number plates must meet recent government guidelines and conform to a British Standard. This regulates the font, size and spacing of letters. The number plate must also clearly state the name of the manufacturer (of the plate, not car), plus their postcode, and the BS. The BS lays down limits for the strength of the number plate material, and it is assumed that stick-on plates cannot meet these limits. It does not take into consideration that the plate will be stuck to a huuuge lump of car.

Don't ask me why I wanted to know this ??? , and I could be wrong - I often am :durr:

It's just occured to me that Q plate cars are, by the governments own definition, of indeterminate age........

So how could a copper do you for having one, when they're legal on older cars like the Jag mentioned?

I'd like to see a clever lawyer test that in a magistrates court.......

Group: Members

Posted: May 27 2003,16:13    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

official line also states that the number plate must be attached to the first vertical surface at the front of the car..  

Which on a westy would be the wind screen, if it had one of course :arse:  :arse:  :arse: the law is one.

You really should not get a ticket if the stick on plate confirms to regs regarding size and character detail etc ;)

Brian.

It's just occured to me that Q plate cars are, by the governments own definition, of indeterminate age........

So how could a copper do you for having one, when they're legal on older cars like the Jag mentioned?

I'd like to see a clever lawyer test that in a magistrates court.......

That is a very good point, well made Blatman.

I think that the legislation doesn't just apply to the Plate on the Car, but also applies to the retailing of the plate.

I think that from Sept 1 2001, the retailers cannot sell non-conforming plates and they have to bear the retailers Name & Post-Code.

I would imagine though that this legislation is not retrospective, so if you fitted your plate prior to Sept 1 2001 you should be OK.

There are still many outlets freely selling stick on white number plates, one in Northampton is part of a major chain (not the obvious one though) they also sell 3/4 size letters / numbers I assume for motorbikes.

Do the same regs apply to rear plates?  Most trailor boards that you get eg, ones that go over a bike rack use stick on number plates and I've never heard of any problems with those.

The British Standard (BS AU 145d for cars registered after 1st September 2001) does indeed refer to the strength of the material that the number plates are to be made with but, more importantly, specifies that they must be retroreflective (i.e. of a material which reflects a ray of light back towards the source of that light) to assist, surprise surprise, with speed camera capture, OCR and so forth.  For plates to be retroreflective they need to be a certain depth to have multiple discernable surfaces in a sort of complex mirror kind of design.  As a stick on plate will be just one surface and paper thin this is why they are not allowed.

For cars registered between 1st January 1973 and 31st August 2001, the requirements are slightly different in that plates must be reflex-reflective.  Before 1973, you can have pretty much anything!

Admittedly, one of the beloved boys in blue would have to be an exceedingly sad git to know any of the above  :D  :D However, the DVLA are apparently running a "two strikes and you're out policy".  Basically, if you are successfully prosecuted for displaying an incorrect plate, not only will you be subject to whatever fine is imposed by the court (current maximum is £1000) but you will also receive a warning from the DVLA to the extent that, should you be caught again, the registration number will be withdrawn permanently from use, without compensation and without leave for it to be re-issued..... ever :0  A bit of a pain for anyone with a personalised plate!

For cars registered between 1st January 1973 and 31st August 2001, the requirements are slightly different in that plates must be reflex-reflective.

So does that mean I could have a stick on plate on my 1997 car?

Andy

Moomin has the right idea, with the 'it must have fallen off' bluurb.  

I haven't got a plate on the front, and I'm not intent on putting one on at all, as the stick on ones are illegal, and putting a propper plate on the first available vertical surface, i.e the bottom of the nose cone, is also technically illegal. There's another chap who posted on here, said he'd driven about for 10 years with no front plate, and never been pulled.

I think you'd have to be very unlucky to get done for this, and the copper would either have had a really bad day, or be a complete c0ck!

I think you'd have to be very unlucky to get done for this, and the copper would either have had a really bad day, or be a complete c0ck!

Not much consolation for the person who's just been pulled and done though...

Andy

I would hope it would fall under the 3 strikes.   2 faults on the car, and you'd get a caution, 3 and they'd issue a ticket.   Trouble is, if they do issue the ticket, it'd mean the possibility of losing a cherished number if you have one, and of course a fine and 3 points.  

I still think you'd be better off ditching the stick on plate, and making sure you comply with the law.   All it takes is one copper with attitude.

That's why I'd love to be able to find someone who can give a definitive answer as to what the law actually is :)

i.e. would my 1997 car be exempt from the 'new' legislation because of its age?

Not having a go at anyone here particularly, it's just there doesn't seem to be anywhere with a definitive statement on this (apart from the FAQ quoted saying stick on's don't meet the appropriate BS).

Andy

It is illegal for any car after 1973 to use a stick on number plate.  1973 is the important date in reality not the more recent 2001 amendments.  The 2001 changes were to make plates slightly stronger and to enhance number capture by changing the reflectability of the background of plates.

Only pre 1973 registered vehicles would be permitted to have stick on plates.

Another thing, if you went out and bought a new plate today, the law requires you to satisfy the most up to date legislation (2001) regardless of when the vehicle was registered  ???  :(  :angry: