Carbs being setup tomorrow

furtive

My car is going to get it's carbs setup on a rolling road tomorrow. Is there anything I should do beforehand to maximise the session?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fordy

• furtive

• Blatman

• neilwillis

Drain the fuel and use a fresh tank of what ever you normally use.

If it is a cleanable type clean the air filter.

Check and clean all around the carbs and cable linkages no bits missing loose etc.

Paul.

Also, make sure your tappet clearances are correct, and that your spark plugs, rotor arm and dizz cap, and leads are in good nick.

oil level and coolant levels to max aswell.

Thanks.

No idea how to check tappet clearances, but plugs, rotor arm, dizzy cap and leads are all new-ish. Oil and coolant are  :t-up:

to check tappets, take rocker cover off. - engine must be completely cold.

use a spanner on the crank pully bolt to turn the engine over by hand so that valve 1 is closed and fully released - at this point there will be a gap between the top of the valve stem and the rocker - this is the tappet clearance - depending on what cam you have it will need to be between 10' and 20' - check the spec of your cam to give you the value (usually differnet for inlet and exhaust valves)  check with a feeler gauge - to adjust the gap, adjust the boly on the other end of the rocker (this side that touches the push rod) - do each valve in turn.

Takes about 15 minutes - you may want to remove the spark plugs as it makes turning the engine over by hand easier.

simple to do - if tappet clearances arent correct though, then bhp values could be well off, aswell as hydrocarbon values.

< slight hijack >

check the spec of your cam to give you the value

Coming up to service time on mine and thought I'd better check clearances but no idea what to set them to. It's a 1700 xflow with Piper 285 - anyone know?

Takes about 15 minutes

Bwwwwhahaha. You've not seen me weild a spanner, have you

Thanks for the info. I won't have time to check the tappets before tomorrow though.

Well thanks to everyone who recommended Peter Baldwin at Wilshers. Top bloke. Certainly knows his stuff.

My car now runs lovely and smoothly, and is pushing out 106bhp  :t-up: