Reassure/enlighten me!!

sempers

To get to it's limits would be wreckless

If you're lucky  ;)  :p  :D    

It would indeed be reckless :p , but to state there were would be no wrecks along the way to finding the limits is, I fear, a rather larger assumption  ;)  :D

Jason,

Toby

Which trackday are you doing on Friday?  If it is Hullavington I will see you there.

Thats the one. My car is green with a yellow nose and swept wings. I'll be with a couple of friends, Jez with a red westie with a large CSMA sticker on the bonnet and Paul with dark blue Locoblade.

I've only been to hullavington once before and only had one session driving Pauls Locoblade. That is what persuaded me to buy a 7 :-)

What colour is your car?

But fitting a LSD made the world of difference     The car is just so much more fun on the limit.  And there's no appreciable understeer apart from in very, very wet conditions with very little grip.  Then it's not so much fun, but a little prod of the right pedal soon sorts that out !!  

Nick, what sort of LSD have you got? I ask because a mate is looking to fit one to his locoblade (live axle) and is currently trying to narrow down the choices.

Nick, what sort of LSD have you got? I ask because a mate is looking to fit one to his locoblade (live axle) and is currently trying to narrow down the choices.

Currently just a bog standard Sierra 4x4 viscous LSD, albeit fitted with a 3.92 CWP.

Will probably go for the Quaiffe ATB one when the car's back in the UK.

With live axle your choice is fairly limited.  Either the Quaife ATB diff or a Tran-X plate LSD are your main choices.  Personally I'd go for the plate unless it's for road use then I'd have the ATB.  Plate LSD's are very noisy, clunky and brutal in their operation.  You can quieten them down with slip inhibitor additive which literally stops it locking quite so quickly.  Mine starts winding up with the slightest amount of lock. My brothers', with the inhibitor, needs a bit more pursuasion (a heavy right foot).  Still does the job, just with a bit better road manners.

Toby

I have a red Westfield with white stickers.  It will be my first time on track with the Westfield and at Hullavington, and the wife will be driving as well, so I apologize in advance if the car becomes a mobile chicane!  If the forecast is for heavy rain we may end up taking a white mk1 MR2 instead.

Jason, see you there. Forcast is light rain at the moment so, not only will this be the first trackday in my westfield but also my first time driving it in the rain. Could be interesting  ???

Nick M:

Such as ??  Curious as much as anything.  And maybe they can achiece half decent traction, but if they can't, they'll all be as bad as each other...  I'd imagine it's a cost issue rather than a performance one in the series your thinking of.

Besides, if you have the option to fit an LSD because you're not limited by regulations then it would, IMO, be a good thing to do.  Transformed my car.

750mc kit car series for one.. I seem to recall looking to see which 750mc events I could enter with a westie se + lsd, and finding not too many.

Banannaman: That read wrong, meant I was psychotic with respect to speed (cars, boats etc..), not taking offence!

S8ight

do they still give you the sheet of things not to do when you take the car out for a test drive ?

i missheard the wife when she was reading it to me and thought she said "do" instead of "do not"  

no wonder she ended up hiding in the passenger footwell.

Dunno - didn't read it :) Did nearly finish up with a horse on board. Came to an almost complete stop and trickled by on tickover.. the thing still got spooked. From sitting down there, that's a scary sight! Got a right earful from the rider.  :sheep:

juansolo: Thanks - by the sounds of it, I can set it up to be entertaining, and it'll be entertaining on the track, if not a missile. Really not concerned about laptimes, just percieved fun. Main reason for trackdays is somewhere I can 'give it a bit of stick' / explore the envelope somewhat more safely. Already have a sensible roadcar, can't afford to have that (needed for work), plus westie, plus something else. Would be a little ott!

Generally, I shall have a look in events, and try to get myself to something soon.

Thanks all.

Mark.

sempers

If you can get to Cadwell on the 5th or 12th I am there in the afternoon Yellow Westfield with full cage 1800 Zetec.

Paul.

Sempers,

Forgive me if I've missed something here, but were you looking at racing with the 750MC series as well as doing trackdays ?

Not really, I had initially thought of doing it, hence the research about lsd's, then kindof decided probably not / do some westfield series things perhaps, assumed that the lsd issue was the same there.

Moot point really (red herring!;)

- Mark.

Phew, thought I was getting all confuzzled there for a mo !!

WSCC Speed Series doesn't, as far as I'm aware, place any limitations on LSDs or things like that.

So, in that case you can (indeed should) fit an LSD and enjoy poweslides galore !!  :D