• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

87 car

nozzer

Hi

first post so be gentle, thinking of buying a 87 pre lit car with a 1700 xflow in, is it easy to change engines and what else needs to do?

Pre Lit cars are a little awkward when it comes to swapping lumps.   The bonnet is lower than the later models, and you will struggle to get the later 16v engines in it.

I should have a look at a few other cars, and try to get a later model.   This will be much more accommodating

Might be better to give us your budget and then we can all chip in with what we think you can get for that!  Also how big are you  :0  - (as in height weight) i.e. can you actually fit in a narrow body?

6K will get you quite a new model - last year i bought a 1999 SeiW with an xflow lump for this sort of money - having had it for a year now, im glad i bought the newest model i could afford - so much easier when buying parts or modifying things. Although i do wish id spent a little more an bought a zetec based car as im probably going to end up upgrading in the next year or so - but it'll be fun doing it.

good luck in your search.

cheers

Chris

i bought a 91 x-flow, im 6' 2 & can fit, on the engine front, just fitted a blade to it & it fits no probs, still with the original bonnet. :p

thanks for the replies, will look for the newest i can then, will use it mainly for track days, keep my scoob intact a bit longer  ;)

did a track day at hullavington today and got a chance to be a passenger in a megabussa, and im hooked. Thought i would need a wide body but no probs.

I think im going to go the way of blade power, approx 2nd hand vale of these?

Cant stretch to a bussa yet :(

saw a '91 1700x-flow on autotrader for £3300.

could throw a couple of grand at it and have a real fun car.

its already 130bhp at the wheels though

For the sake of clarity.........

If it's a factory spec 'Busa, it WILL be a wide body.

But, quite a few people have converted cars to bike power, and a few are narrow cars. However, I have never heard of anyone converting a narrow car to 'Busa power (cue a flood of protests........).

Also, I can't see the factory selling a "converted" (implying second hand/part exed for something else) car. On balance (and in my humble opinion), what you tried was almost certainly a wide bodied car.......

I think you will struggle to get a 2nd hand megablade for £6k when i was looking a few months ago £8k was the cheapest i could find but was not a very tidy car,in the end found a 2000 W reg for £9.5k very tidy car 2k miles.As DodgeT said he bought a '91 x-flow and swaped for a blade engine these can be bought for £500 upwards(blade engine that is) i looked at going this route but its was easier to borrow more money from the parents  :D  :t-up:  :D

HTH

DAZ

If for example i bought a crossflow one, what would i have to do to put a blade engine in, do i buy engine and box and what else and roughly how much?

Sorry for all the questions but weighing up all the options