first car required for 17 year old

barry peel

looking for a first time car for my nearly 17 year old.

He wants some thing a bit different not the usual corsa/fiesta/ka etc.

Rob's Micra would be perfect but can't get him interested - some thing about street cred

We are more looking at mini's, imp,  talbot sunbeam 1.0 litre  etc.

Insurance for 17 year olds has gone through the roof £2,400.00 for a mini 1000cc so must be group one or two insurance

Hoping to get classic car insurance for him for the first year even though he won't get any no claims but hopefully it will get better when he's 18

So what you got - ideally Yorkshire but will travel for the right car - looking to spend no more than £1,200.00

Thanks

one of the brokers I spoke to suggested trying something not usually bought by the new drivers ie not a Corsa/Clio etc as these are more heavily weighted by the insurers due to the amount of new & inexperienced drivers buying them. Have you tried a quote on something like a Ford Focus instead?

As for a classic, I don't think they will touch him til he's 21

Barry, try Quinn insurance. My son was quoted £1200 3yrs ago for a 1.0ltr Micra, then six months later when he passed his test they wanted another £500!!. In February he paid £700 for the same car - 2 yrs NCB.

TBH, yes the Micra is n't a cool car -but they are very tough. My sons' car is VERY battle scarred, but no matter how much abuse it takes it keeps going. The Micra gets my vote!  :t-up:   :t-up:  :)  :)

John

Barry, try Quinn insurance. My son was quoted £1200 3yrs ago for a 1.0ltr Micra, then six months later when he passed his test they wanted another £500!!. In February he paid £700 for the same car - 2 yrs NCB.

TBH, yes the Micra is n't a cool car -but they are very tough. My sons' car is VERY battle scarred, but no matter how much abuse it takes it keeps going. The Micra gets my vote!  :t-up:   :t-up:  :)  :)

John

I concur,

every kebab shop in my area use them as delivery cars. In fact when my daughter decided to get rid of her P reg micra cos it failed MOT, needed welding and CV boots and proved not economically viable to us to repair they snapped it up for £300 and we got a free kebab as well.

Lifes cushty

Yip thats about it Micra's aint too cool but they a great doner car lol....

doner%2520kebab.gif

Sorry had to do it pmsl

Micra's are a bit boring for a 17year old lad but hey its only for a year or so..

doner%2520kebab.gif

Sorry had to do it pmsl

Micra's are a bit boring for a 17year old lad but hey its only for a year or so..

:bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

:oops:

:D

doner%2520kebab.gif

Sorry had to do it pmsl

Oh for pitas sake  :D  :D  :D

daughter aged 18 £700  make sure you put two adults on the policy makes it cheaper .she just passed and its gone up £90 .

plus watch out for this one car kept in road was cheaper than  on drive. dont make sense to me.

car C1  Cheap to buy cheap tax £20 and about 70mpg

Oh yes, girls pay approx 50% less the males.  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  ???  ???

not really because i had to pay it :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :D  :D  :D  :D

If you get something older and "classic" does classic car insurance work out cheaper?

Fsiling that, how about a Fita Cinquicento?  :D  They must be cheap to insure surely?  :oops:

Barry, i was in this situation a few years ago now, i was getting quoted silly money for 1 litre Mini's etc. I ended up buying a Turbo Diesel Citroen Xsara cost me £1200 to insure thats with the old man as a named driver on the policy too though. Still got the car was a good solid lump could Cart all the Uni stuff around and would P*ss on all the mates Corsa's etc and i was still returning at least 40 Mpg! :D:D

Just about to put it up for sale if its of any interest too!

Thanks for your reply's

Have just come off the phone with Footman James who are offering classic insurance for 17 year olds as long as the car is more than 15 years old for circa £1000.00

Which is at least affordable if he gets a part time job and a bit of help from bank of Dad

The mini being there preferred choice

So anyone got a 998cc mini for sale :)

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.